• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 Ranger 2.3 head/valve questions?

Mikeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Have the original 96 short block ready to go and moving on to the head. I have both the original head and another head from a blown up 96 or 97 2.3.

The blown motor head has evidence of moisture on cylinder #2, which had a rod broken in half, and it also cracked the oil pan and wrecked the crank. But the valves seats in that head appear unmolested and in good shape. The valve seats in the original head also appear in good shape as far as the seat surface goes, but the 2 heads appear to be different in valve seat depth. (valves sit .054" deeper in original head).

I suspect that the original motor head had a (botched?) valve job done on it prior to my getting the truck. The valves, guides, seals from it all still look good too, but valves sit down noticeably further in the seat. They are all flush in the valve seat. But stick the same valve in the blown motor head and it sits up with the perimeter of the valve lip standing slightly above the combustion chamber as I am accustomed to seeing on good or reconditioned heads. All the valves are this way. Swap any valve from one head to the other and they are visibly sitting deeper in the seats of the original head. No evidence of burned valves or seats in either head.

The truck was always really gutless while that original engine/head was in it. Shop once told me it had pretty low compression on a couple cylinders. Could not get it to run consistently either. Surged, died, idled at different speeds although every sensor on the thing was replaced. Finally gave up on it and installed a $150 junkyard motor which ran much better (used for daily commuting until it blew up 2 years later). Got my moneys worth I think for $150...

But being I still have that awful running original motor I cleaned it up, tore it down, replaced rings, bearings etc. Pistons, cylinders all in good shape though there was extensive carbon deposit accumulation in ring grooves behind the rings. Bearings showed some wear but no copper showing yet and oil pressure was still fine when the motor was pulled.

But now I am wondering whether the valve seats being cut too deep in the original head was part of the gutlessness and erratic-running problem (along with rings which were not broken but were rather sticky in the grooves). I don't know if the valve slightly shrouded with seats too deep (by .054 compared to blown motor head anyway) would be enough to dismiss using that original head as-is, apart from new seals and lapping the valves lightly.

Or if I should take the head from blown motor to be magnafluxxed and see if it was cracked or had blown head gasket prior to engine blowing up (hydraulic lock broke the rod?). Or, if it is cracked now from piston hitting the head. But the chamber and valves definitely show there was moisture in that #2 cylinder only and the shop that did the assessment of blown engine stated that one of plugs on that cylinder head had fractured porcelain (confirmed by my dismantling it).

Trying to keep this cheap cuz will probably just give it to one of my kids to break again once I get it going again. So, will the deeper cut seats create any problems that would cause significant performance issues? Or those deeper seats warrant the monkey business of either getting a 3rd head or having the one off the blown motor crack-tested and refurbishing one of those.

Thanks for your input.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Definitely get it magnafluxed! I had cracks in every valve seat, same on a junkyard head I bought. I ended up getting a remanufactured head from autozone. As a added plus it came with new valves and cam bearings. The dual plug head I feel is prone to cracking over time due to thermal cycling, just not as much iron there as with a single-plug head. Heres a picture of my original & junkyard head. Im not sure which is which. (its been 4 years since this was done) Its kind of hard to see the white marks in the photo.I originally tore mine down due to a blown head gasket between cyls 3 & 4. It still ran but horribly. I had the head checked as was suprized at all the cracks in the valve seats. Junkyard head wasnt as bad but still-junk. I dont know what a 2.3 lima head goes for now @ autozone but I “think” I paid $200/$250. Ive not had a issue since. My ranger had about 150K on it at that time, Im at around 170K now.
3CDEA2FD-AC82-40FE-A17D-A5EC604A1592.jpeg

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
IMO sticky rings would cause more problems than deeper valves but definitely have them checked for cracks for sure, use the best one that isn't cracked :)

Mikeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Definitely get it magnafluxed! I had cracks in every valve seat, same on a junkyard head I bought. I ended up getting a remanufactured head from autozone. As a added plus it came with new valves and cam bearings. The dual plug head I feel is prone to cracking over time due to thermal cycling, just not as much iron there as with a single-plug head. Heres a picture of my original & junkyard head. Im not sure which is which. (its been 4 years since this was done) Its kind of hard to see the white marks in the photo.I originally tore mine down due to a blown head gasket between cyls 3 & 4. It still ran but horribly. I had the head checked as was suprized at all the cracks in the valve seats. Junkyard head wasnt as bad but still-junk. I dont know what a 2.3 lima head goes for now @ autozone but I “think” I paid $200/$250. Ive not had a issue since. My ranger had about 150K on it at that time, Im at around 170K now.
View attachment 81232
I checked around online and the cheapest I found for a rebuilt head not counting shipping was $335. But most are in excess of $400.

Mikeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
IMO sticky rings would cause more problems than deeper valves but definitely have them checked for cracks for sure, use the best one that isn't cracked :)
Weird thing is that truck never smoked a bit with either engine. Measured ring end gap on a used top ring and it was .019 which is pretty close to the new rings.

Did view a YT video where someone with 40 years of engine building experience explained that if rings 1 and/or 2 had a lot of carbon behind them in the piston that it decreased compression because the pressure that escapes thru ring end gap ends ends up behind the rings and exerts outward pressure. So if there is a lot of carbon buildup then the volume of air behind them decreases and some compression is lost.

Not sure if ever heard that theory before or am sold on it, but maybe...

I did spin the engine over by hand before I tore it apart and as I expected it felt like there was almost no compression. But it had been sitting for 2 years. Was really surprised how good it appeared inside upon disassembly. Crosshatches still in cylinders, no ridges, piston skirts have no vertical marks across the minute horizontal factory marks and no vertical cylinder scratches like I have seen in most high mile engines. Only ones that looked this good were also fuel injected. Machinist says they see the same thing in most fuel injected engines.

I did the "pour a liquid in ports with head laying on its side with valve closed and see if it leaks" test. Both heads had several valves that seeped a bit, but neither heads valves had any that liquid (brake cleaner) went through all that quickly. Should have done a wet test with oil in cylinders, but did not so idk what compression it had before rebuild.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would have a watch on this video as I think it probably explains what is going on:

Mikeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
I would have a watch on this video as I think it probably explains what is going on:
That makes sense. Thanks for posting it. Could have been this truck with all the sensor replacements, multiple code pulls and tests yet nothing helped, so we put in that $150 junkyard motor and all the bizarre and erratic behavior stopped.

And inspection of the 2 heads shows the replacement motor did not have recessed valves and there is a .054 difference in valve seat height using the same valve in either head which is even worse than the video motor had.

Looked around some for re-man heads and not much around for a reasonable price. Even new bare heads are not in stock everywhere I found them listed. So I suppose I will have the head off the replacement now-blown motor checked for cracks and see if it is OK, being it shows surface corrosion from moisture on the #2 cylinder which had a piston hit the head.

If it is not OK, are there exhaust valve seat inserts available that could be pressed into the original head?

Mikeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Where are the casting numbers located on a 1996 2.3 head?

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals