• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 ford ranger project

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome Idaho! Good luck with it man

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think I found my huckleberry. This thing runs great… gonna tear it apart to re-seal it once I get it out. Only then will I be able to say definitely that it’s in good shape. I fired it up and run it all the way up to temperature and it seems to be good.
Super low miles and worth every penny of what I paid.
These engines are getting nearly impossible to find. Almost makes me want to start messing around with the eco boost engines here soon.

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Those 5.0L's are tough things, my '00 Explorer that I just pulled the engine to rebuild had been BEAT TO HECK before I got it, we replaced EVERY hard part in the transmission (the one part we didn't replace lasted 20k miles before it exploded... they drove it hard enough to STRIP OUT the rear spider gears), pulled the engine at 260k and still cross hatching on all of the cylinders and valve seats looked new, I ground the exhaust valves and replaced one push rod and rocker, the rest was fine... of course it needed all the bearings and a hone and rering but that is to be expected at those miles... I wouldn't be afraid of pulling the engine, changing the oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets (might as well do valve stem seals too) and front and rear main...

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Starting the tear down!
I’ve never seen an aftermarket intake plenum before…. This one has what I would assume to be a dorman intake…. Nothing special at all, but different for sure

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Some reason I thought this was your other thread before :). Don't know that I've seen an aftermarket plenum either, that's a lot different looking than the OHV's I've worked on in the past, haven't had one in a decade so I imagine parts aren't any easier to find...

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Got the engine out of the explorer and got it back on the trailer. Got the lower intake gasket done and painted the valve covers too!
Just waiting on the oil pan gasket and timing cover gasket then I can get it sealed the rest of the way!

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Small progress while I’m waiting on parts for another project!
Got the timing cover cleaned and painted with a new front main seal, installed, got the oil pan installed and the motor plates swapped over to the TTB setting.
Still deciding if I like the color (it’s gonna stay that way)

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Got it running and driving today and got the hood back on and she is out of the shop finally !!! Woohoo!! Sprayed her off and now I have to get a bumper and grille.

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Finishing up the project … final odds and ends things to do. Found a bumper for it and sanded it down and painted it. Switched the wheels and tires for winter wheels and tires and it’s ready to go after I get the alignment done!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals