• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 2.3 Timing trouble

illili

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am changing the timing belt on my 2.3 and am having trouble lining the timing marks up. They were lined up when I took the belt off, but I accidentally moved the truck while it was in gear just a hair (I know it should have been in neutral, I've already face palmed because of this).

I can get two of the three timing marks to line up triangle to triangle on the camshaft, diamond to diamond on the oil pump, and I get the notch on the crank at 12 o'clock with the dot lined up with the notch. No matter what I seem to do, going counterclockwise from the crank to the oil pump makes it rotate either a took forward or backwards to be lined up. I got frustrated yesterday so I took a breather and left it alone for now, is there another timing mark I missed on the oil pump (similar to the crankshaft) that I'm missing?

Thanks a million to whoever helps :)

EDIT: I found a tutorial for doing the timing on my specific year and model (except his doesn't have power steering). It walks through most everything I can see and has pretty good quality. Let me know what you guys think of this and if its applicable to other model years.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Here's a diagram of the 2.3l timing belt, maye it might help u

illili

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here's a diagram of the 2.3l timing belt, maye it might help u

Thanks, Sergio the diagram is helpful I haven't seen that exact one before. I know I have tdc for the crank (I can see the piston in through the hole and the tooth is at 12 o'clock. The camshaft has an easily identifiable mark on it (triangle) and that's aligned too. I found this image that looks like a triangle instead of a diamond on the oil pump pulley. I am going to try to look for that mark when I get home later today.

Also, do you have any tips for loosening the belt tensioner without the special tool?

Thanks,

--Vin

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Thanks, Sergio the diagram is helpful I haven't seen that exact one before. I know I have tdc for the crank (I can see the piston in through the hole and the tooth is at 12 o'clock. The camshaft has an easily identifiable mark on it (triangle) and that's aligned too. I found this image that looks like a triangle instead of a diamond on the oil pump pulley. I am going to try to look for that mark when I get home later today.

Also, do you have any tips for loosening the belt tensioner without the special tool?

Thanks,

--Vin
The oil pump gear and the cam gear are actually the same sproket. They have each others marks and are interchangeable.

Ignore the dot on the crankshaft gear, just make sure the keyway is straight up. This will be TDC, I don't know what that dot is used for.

I had a hell of a time releasing the belt tension and having things move out of sync. Ultimately I built a lever thingy out of scrap that kinda looked like a picture I found (don't know if you have a welder), but I did get it a few times with a prybar/crowbar.

otherwise, you did have it right though:

Cam - triangle to triangle
oil pump - diamond to diamond.

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
With 2 people and a pry bar you can get the tensioner back and the belt on.

illili

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The oil pump gear and the cam gear are actually the same sproket. They have each others marks and are interchangeable.

Ignore the dot on the crankshaft gear, just make sure the keyway is straight up. This will be TDC, I don't know what that dot is used for.

I had a hell of a time releasing the belt tension and having things move out of sync. Ultimately I built a lever thingy out of scrap that kinda looked like a picture I found (don't know if you have a welder), but I did get it a few times with a prybar/crowbar.

otherwise, you did have it right though:

Cam - triangle to triangle
oil pump - diamond to diamond.

I tried again last night to time it, again to no avail. I tried lining up the triangle on the cam, and I found a triangle on the oil pump but it made not difference. What tricks do you, or anyone have for timing this; is it just a trial and error thing or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

illili

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also not sure if this is a foolish question but if the only thing the oil pump pulley turns is the oil pump(on older models it was used for distribtor timing if I'm not mistaken.) then wouldn't it only matter that the cam and crank are lined up?

sid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford XLT
Engine Size
2.3 --supercharged soon
Transmission
Manual
I could be wrong >> but >>> the one I'm working on has a sensor that comes out of were a dizzy would have gone. Also has a crank trigger, think ya need them. Not real sure about the 96.:icon_confused:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Also not sure if this is a foolish question but if the only thing the oil pump pulley turns is the oil pump(on older models it was used for distribtor timing if I'm not mistaken.) then wouldn't it only matter that the cam and crank are lined up?
Not a foolish question, but a rather foolish answer.

Ford, instead of putting the camshaft position sensor on the camshaft, decided the oil pump was a better spot. :beer:

So if the oil pump gear is not in sync with the cam+crank, it'll throw off your ignition timing and your fuel injection timing.

Believe this is true for all 95+ at least until the Duratech came onto the scene.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the cam sensor is just for injection timing not spark, with a waste spark system like the DIS 2.3/2.5 all you need is crank position

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
the cam sensor is just for injection timing not spark, with a waste spark system like the DIS 2.3/2.5 all you need is crank position
When I properly aligned the oil pump gear to the diamond (when I eventually found the blasted mark under all the crud) and not the triangle it cleared my engine right up. I had a fancy scanner hooked up to it and it was kicking my ignition timing advanced 40-50°. sputters, misfires, very easy to stall in the lower rpm's, poor performance all the way around. After alignment, everything was good to go. The crank keyway was vertical on all attempts.

Took it apart and back together 3 times before I finally figured it out, put probably 4,000 miles on it running like shit because I had to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals