• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 2.3 ranger 2wd egr

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for some advice on repairing my egr issues I'm having, my intake port where egr is mounted is plugged up with carbon and I'm wanting to removed intake to thoroughly clean out and reinstall. Has anyone done this repair before and if so is there a walkthrough or step by step procedure I could look at before starting? And what parts are needed for reinstall such as seals and what not. Also torque specs for intake would be helpful. Tia

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for some advice on repairing my egr issues I'm having, my intake port where egr is mounted is plugged up with carbon and I'm wanting to removed intake to thoroughly clean out and reinstall. Has anyone done this repair before and if so is there a walkthrough or step by step procedure I could look at before starting? And what parts are needed for reinstall such as seals and what not. Also torque specs for intake would be helpful. Tia
Bump

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I doubt there's a writeup, and I'm sure you could find torque specs but I probably wouldn't stress about them... I'd remove the EGR bolts from the intake and probably remove the throttle body then the bolts that hold the upper intake manifold to the lower, also remove all vacuum lines from anything related (take cell phone pictures of all the hoses so you get them in the right spot if anything looks confusing). For gaskets you might need the EGR gasket and some intake gaskets, they might come as a set for intake manifold gaskets...

As for torque, the majority of bolts should be 8mm which would be around 20ftlb, anything that's 6mm is less than that and I'd just snug with a wrench or ratchet...

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I doubt there's a writeup, and I'm sure you could find torque specs but I probably wouldn't stress about them... I'd remove the EGR bolts from the intake and probably remove the throttle body then the bolts that hold the upper intake manifold to the lower, also remove all vacuum lines from anything related (take cell phone pictures of all the hoses so you get them in the right spot if anything looks confusing). For gaskets you might need the EGR gasket and some intake gaskets, they might come as a set for intake manifold gaskets...

As for torque, the majority of bolts should be 8mm which would be around 20ftlb, anything that's 6mm is less than that and I'd just snug with a wrench or ratchet...
Thankyou for the advice, I went ahead and pulled the EGR valve alone for now and cleaned it out the best I could, I replaced the gasket on installation and cleaned to intake to EGR hole out it ended up not being as bad as I had thought. When I removed the vaccum line from the top of the EGR valve I noticed the rubber vacc line boot thing was plugged up with Teflon tape for some reason it appeared intentionally done but anyways I removed all of it and reinstalled and now my truck is running so much better. Response and idle are improved and I no longer have high idle when I come to a stop anymore, before my idle would hang around 1500 for a while before dropping to 1000. Now it's around 1100 and drops to about 700 or so and drops allot quicker upon stop. So just having the EGR cleaned new gasket and unplugged with the carbon fixed my idle issue I was having as for now anyways. Also I noticed my charcoal canister cap was cracked up so I replaced it to seal the system off so that might have help some as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals