• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 2.3 Manual Won't Start w/ Key

jabroke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3 RWD
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys new here,

Wanted to start by saying I've done quite a bit of searching but can't seem to find a fix.

I recently bought a 96 Ranger with the 2.3 manual. The day after I bought it I went out to start it and nothing but a click coming from the starter relay (mounted on the driver inner fender). I knocked on the starter with a jack handle and it would fire right up. This would happen randomly but now I can't get the truck to start at all.

Now I am not getting even a click to the starter relay. The little red igniter wire on the starter relay is not getting power from the ignition system. I have check the following:

Ignition Switch (is getting power from the battery and sending 12v out)
Clutch Interlock Switch (replaced new)

If I run a jumper wire to the starter relay directly from the battery the truck starts right up. Seem to be getting a no crank issue from somewhere in the ignition system.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
James

Last edited:

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There should be a whole series of posts about ignition switch problems. Maybe one of the monitors can point you to them.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
OP states power to ignition and power out... probably not the ignition switch.

Try bypassing the clutch switch all together using a jumper... ensure it's in Neutral beforehand.

If that doesn't work... check the crank wire from relay to clutch switch and clutch switch to ignition.

I would also ensure battery connections are clean and tight... both ends.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
So, do you have 12volts at the clutch interlock switch? And does the 12 volts pass through the switch when you depress the clutch?

jabroke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3 RWD
Transmission
Manual

This is the wiring diagram that I was able to find on the pin to the clutch switch. I believe I am supposed to run a jumper between Pins 5 & 6. When I did that I still got nothing. Still not getting a click at the relay. I have 12v at pin 3 but no voltage at the other pins. This leads me to believe that I have a problem with the wire coming out of the ignition and into pin 6?

Thanks for the responses and looking forward to getting this thing fixed.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Pin 6 should get 12V(battery B+) when the ignition key is in the START position.
I would remove the steering column plastic cover and inspect visually the ignition switch. If the old design, it is down the column a bit from the lock cylinder, operated by a push rod. Some of them start to come apart with age. Look for that and make sure the connector is seated in the switch. You should find a R/LB wire leading from the switch, I suspect the input to pin 6 of the clutch switch. Check it for B+ when moving the key to START. Most column covers come apart, with ~3 Philips from underneath and maybe a clip or connector at another spot. Most times they can be wiggled out without dropping the column.
tom

jabroke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3 RWD
Transmission
Manual
I am not getting 12v at Pin 6 however I am getting 12v at the R/LB wire coming out of the ignition switch. This leads me to believe that there is a break somewhere in the wire?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals