• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 2.3 Manual Stalling issue

Lance58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, looking for some help on a 96 2.3 manual 2WD I bought recently.
Problem: When coming to a stop in 1st or 2nd gear the truck stalls.

Some back ground info:
Manual 2W ABS, no A/C
Truck runs very well, idles smooth starts fine cold or hot, slight smell of running rich and may lack a bit of power.
If I clutch in 3rd or 4th and coast to a stop it idles fine, only happens coming from higher revs.
Cold or hot start no black smoke and idles and runs normal, temp appears normal.
Note; Speedo not working even though I replaced the VSS, no CE light but stored code for VSS circuit.
I have done the following:
Fuel Pressure runs and holds at 30psi very little leak down
Changed IAC
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned TB
New Temp sensors gauge and water as well as t-stat
Cleaned and tested IAT Sensor
Plugs are nice shade of grey, no misfires
No Visible vacuum leaks or cracked hoses
Tested EGR, holds vacuum and opens and closes
Reset PCM

Thanks

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the speedometer is driven by a gear on the side of the transmission, I think it's even still cable but I haven't crawled under my '97 in a while

The spark plugs should be chocolate milky not grey, could be the pre cat oxygen sensor, it's on my short list...

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So If I got this right, your power braking it to a stop and it dies? Might have busted ringlands like my 96 had. Found that out when i pulled pistons to change rings. The cylinder walls amd rings were the only things holding them in the spot so to speak. Had slight power loss like you had, and if I tried reving too high (when speeding up, I dont power brake) it ran like shit for a bit until I let it chill, or died if I attempted to continue on. Assume the ecu was trying to adjust and compensate for that. Just my thoughts, either way I don't recommend power braking, not good for your motor, makes things break faster lol. Also, check your abs wheel speed sensor. The vss and abs tie into each other. Your vss is on the tail of your transmission, drivers side. Scott's right, its gear driven, and its electrical not cable. Also, my busted ringlands did not cause any smoke, hence why I'm throwing it out there 😁

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Unless you have a mechanical problem, or a leaky intake, there are 3 things that come to mind causing stalling on coastdown, or actually, braked slowdown to a stop. 1)IAC, 2)TPS, and 3)injector function. The last would be injectors or fuel pressure/volume in that not enough was being supplied to keep the engine running. Numbers 1 & 2 are more simple. If you have a good cold 'fast idle', and the engine doesn't bog or stumble when either A/C is engaged, or the power steering is loaded when at idle, the IAC is working. The TPS can lie to the computer, and make it THINK the throttle plate is still partially open, so no IAC is needed... so it doesn't kick the IAC to bump the idle, and you stall. Had one with a bad spot, and the trans would unlock the converter, rpms climb, and then a bit later, lock it back up. TPS was failing, and the computer thought the throttle closed, so unlocked converter.
tom

Lance58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it for sure.
To clarify a couple of things.
This truck is a manual with 2W ABS, no A/C
I have replaced the VSS and IAC with new parts.
I got my new scan tool yesterday and it is only showing a stored code for the VSS circuit so I am going to check the wiring today, I am also going to try and test the TPS again.
Truck does not stumble or run rough in any way other than the stalling when coming to a stop from higher rpm, cold Idle and warm idle are fine.
For example if I coast from say 20 mph with clutch in it does not stall, if I gear down and only clutch in just before coming to a stop like you would normally it will stall.
Does the VSS affect anything other than the speedo?

Thanks again.

R96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Could be you clutch master going bad.
Just a thought.

Lance58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Okay, not sure what is going on here, this is the connector from the VSS/02 sensor harness to the main harness.
Bottom right is the grey/blk wire from the VSS going in but the wire coming out on the other side of the connector is Green/Yel and goes to pin 64 on the PCM which is for the TR sensor?
It should be gry/blk to pin 58 coming out, what the heck do I have here? has the harness been switched for a different model?
The gry/blk wire from pin 58 (VSS) on the PCM does not even go to this plug, is this correct? is the VSS blk/gry wire supposed to go straight to the PCM?
Help!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals