1996 2.3 I4 4×4

J_J_DePre

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1996 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab with a 2.3 I4 mated to a 5-speed, manual transmission and a 4×4 with a manual-transfer case and manual-locking hubs. I know they are exceptionally rare, as I was only able to locate four examples in a search query factoring a 500-mile radius. I am interested to know who may own one, what is the overall reliability, and what are the idiosyncrasies relative to other Rangers.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
These are definitely NOT rare. Uncommon, yes, but I'm guessing many, many thousands of them were made. You're not seeing many for sale because people hold onto them...they are good trucks.

That said, your truck is probably #1 or #2 on my personal list of desirable trucks. I think '95-97 trucks were by far some of the best made, and most reliable and I just happen to like single cab short boxes in the 4x4 flavor.

Ranger850

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have a "2001 Oxford white single cab 2wd Edge". by the numbers, I think they made 1% of the trucks that year in this configuration. You would think that was RARE, but when you look around almost every other Ranger is a white single cab 2wd truck. lol

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Probably just the Edge package that constitutes that 1%. Everybody was using 2wd single cabs for delivery trucks for a while... O'Reilly and NAPA here in town still have several of them.

Ranger850

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Probably just the Edge package that constitutes that 1%. Everybody was using 2wd single cabs for delivery trucks for a while... O'Reilly and NAPA here in town still have several of them.
that was my point. it seems rare, but it's not at all.