• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Ranger 4x4 hub swap

mickE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger stx
Transmission
Automatic
I am swapping wheel hubs on my 95 ford ranger stx and I'm swapping from automatic to manual WARN locking hubs. I have 3 diagram references and they are all show different spacers, number of spacers, or lack of washer/spacers. What combination do i use for my dana 35? Here goes the diagrams let me know which of these setups will work when swapping auto locking to manual locking. I have the 3 lock nut set but do i need the plane steel, plane plastic, and splined steel thrust washers?

Photo on 5-28-20 at 4.06 PM.jpg
Photo on 5-28-20 at 5.00 PM.jpg
Photo on 5-28-20 at 4.07 PM.jpg
Photo on 5-28-20 at 4.10 PM.jpg
Photo on 5-28-20 at 4.59 PM.jpg

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Probably not much help, but years ago I did this swap as a kid in my 20's on my previous ranger (also dana 35), after one side locked up and blew out....

I remember pretty much just gutting out the stock stuff and slapping in the warn. I think I used all 3 washers.

You can always just cross that bridge when you get there lol, see what fits/works best when you got it mostly together...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Use whatever was in the auto hub setup on that side, the only thing you have to change is the lock nuts for the wheel bearings.

mickE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger stx
Transmission
Automatic
Use whatever was in the auto hub setup on that side, the only thing you have to change is the lock nuts for the wheel bearings.
Yes Scott I think that would be the easiest just to replace the same exact washer set up.....except they were either put on wrong or damaged/missing.
So....what i need to know still is do I need all three washers or just the steel splined washer?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sorry, a bit late to the party here...
Ford had two different setups regarding those washers on the D35 (the changeover year being 1995).
The earlier setup ('90-'94) was just a single thick splined steel washer approx 1/8" thick that was held by the c-clip at the end of the shaft.
The later setup ('95-'97) came in the form of the three (thinner) washers you showed (all three of these need to be used together if that is the type you have).

The change was made because there was an occasional issue of the earlier (single) washer grinding itself into the end of the spindle if it wasn't entirely coated in gobs of grease. The later system with the plastic (Delrin I believe) washer in the middle allowed things to glide easier.

As Scott said, both washer setups are the same regardless of whether the truck has manual or auto hubs, and the earlier-style single-washer setup should also work on the later axles and vice-versa.

mickE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger stx
Transmission
Automatic
ok...sounds good. I am making progress on this 1995 ford ranger 4x4 wheel hub swap. I have replaced all of rusted brake lines, rebuilt brake system, swapped from auto locking hub to WARN manual locking hubs, upgraded ignition to Screaming Demon coil packs with high fire wires, wheel swap, added brush guard. Next is lift kit, headers, n homemade paint job.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals