• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Ranger 3rd brake light LED issue

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Good Afternoon All, :shout:

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD Automatic 4.0L

Issue I am having.

3rd brake light slightly comes on "only when ignition is turned on", when brakes applied it does get brighter as should be.
no engine light (CEL), no other light issues, brake lights work, turn signal works, running lights work, stop lights work (even 3rd brake light), just this 3rd brake light issue coming on when key is in the run position or when truck is running? no other lights on.
someone stated 3rd brake light could do this if a bulb is burnt out or bad, so I put in the incandescent bulbs bypassing and removing the LED tail lights.
I have replaced all the following = multi-switch high-beam/hazard/turn/wiper, light switch, Rheostat switch, brake light switch at brake peddle, cruise control cut off switch (under hood at brake master cylinder), replaced hazard/turn signal relay next to steering column under the dash, also replaced LED tail lights, replaced 3rd brake light LED (have these for spares just in case??).
removed trailer wiring harness, cleaned all grounds at tail lights, under hood, checked all factory splice connections for corrosion placed dielectric grease.
All fuse's are working none blown.

What am I missing??:rolleyes:
What could be causing this 3rd brake light to come on (dim but it is on and can be seen during the day or night).

what else could cause just the high/3rd brake light to be activated? bed cargo lights on 3rd brake light works as should be with no issue.:unsure:

Also my or may not be related, But my cruise control has also stopped working. does not engage any more at any speed.

Thank You for any thoughts to help me check.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Does the 3rd brake light have a ground wire or is it grounded to the cab at the light? Bad ground is what it sounds like.

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Does the 3rd brake light have a ground wire or is it grounded to the cab at the light? Bad ground is what it sounds like.
To access the ground for the 3rd brake light, would I need to pull the whole headliner off to gain access?
Or where is this grounded at? I do not see any grounding at the area of the light itself, Just the three wires, Brake, Cargo light, and ground.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
I've never had to mess with one so I really don't know how it's wired. If the brake light and cargo light share a common ground, then the ground probably isn't the problem.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It almost seems like your brake on/off switch is not working properly, ie; still making some contact even when the brake pedal is not pushed. If thats the case, it would also be applying power to the cruise "disable input" and that would prevent the cruise from functioning. Try disconnecting the brake on/off switch and see if the light goes out. If that works, replace the switch.

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It almost seems like your brake on/off switch is not working properly, ie; still making some contact even when the brake pedal is not pushed. If thats the case, it would also be applying power to the cruise "disable input" and that would prevent the cruise from functioning. Try disconnecting the brake on/off switch and see if the light goes out. If that works, replace the switch.
Thank You for the reply, I replaced the switch and I have bypassed it. Disconnected the switch at the brake peddle completely and the 3rd brake light still came on when the ignition switched to on.

Last edited:

Ranger Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Alumni: Hard knocks F.U.
To access the ground for the 3rd brake light, would I need to pull the whole headliner off to gain access?
Or where is this grounded at? I do not see any grounding at the area of the light itself, Just the three wires, Brake, Cargo light, and ground.
Just FYI, the ground is located at the dome light. At least mine is. '96 4x2

Ranger Mark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Alumni: Hard knocks F.U.
The more I think about this, it sounds like you have an induction issue. If the insulation is thin and it runs next to a large power wire you could theoretically induce enough voltage to slightly light the bulb. These wires run down the B pillar behind driver then along the floor.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The more I think about this, it sounds like you have an induction issue. If the insulation is thin and it runs next to a large power wire you could theoretically induce enough voltage to slightly light the bulb. These wires run down the B pillar behind driver then along the floor.
I doubt that there's enough ripple to the DC to do that. Even if it was AC, at 12volts, it would be doubtful.

Furthermore, it would only work when the neighboring circuits are operating - actually drawing current. Ie; the dome light and cargo light would have to be on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals