• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 RABS mystery

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
This is an issue that has been plagued me for over year, ever since I bought the truck in August of 2014. My ABS doesn't work. I'll give a rundown of what I did and what happened as a result.

• When I bought the truck it had an intermittent ABS light. It eventually became a constant light. Around January 2015 I pulled the ABS code, code 12. I went through the circuitry and found the issue to be with the ABS computer itself, and upon opening the module, the I/O pin on the MCU chip. I went to pull-a-part for a fresh module...
  • The new module still returned an ABS light, which gave the "working fine" code. I bought an NOS controller on ebay, which did the same. I then found out I had no light to begin with, as the LEDs in my Dash didn't agree with the ABS module's current-modulated lamp driver. Swapping the ABS light to a bulb resulted in both computers returning no ABS light.
  • However, my ABS still didn't engage. I next went after the speed sensor, as they're cheap and easy (sorta) to replace. I made the swap and the old one tested good, but only barely so. Still no RABS function.
  • Next, I tackled the RABS valve. I did get an ABS valve code for a short bit, so that was my initial rationale for going that direction. Once again, a trip to pull-a-part and I made the swap. The old valve tested good before I swapped, although I suspected the valve was stuck, which a multimeter test woudn't tell me. The new valve didn't fix the issue.

Which brings me to the present state.

The ABS computer works (as the power-on lamp test occurs), and since the valve swap I've gotten no ABS lights. However, if I slam the brakes, all I get are skid marks.

I'm out of ideas... I'd be tempted to say dicky wiring, but I'd figure I'd get some sort of ABS valve code if that were the case. Unless it's just high(er) resistance, which I could see doing this. That said, the wiring looked OK based on a visual inspection.

I do have wiring diagrams, which is how I bench-tested the valves.

Any suggestions here?

Broccoli94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Where is the computer at for rabs?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals