• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Ford Ranger 2.3L w/ 2wd 132x Skyjacker Front Springs + Skyjackers M95 Shock Review

95TravelinRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
31X10.5xr15
My credo
We ARE NOT Stuck, we just haven't figured out how to get out, yet.
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to put this review out there to give my opinion to anyone in a similar position. The end-goal of my build is to make it into a mild offroad/overland rig based on quality affordable parts. This definitely has an end goal because I want to eventually buy a 93-97 4x4 with the 4.0. This will probably cap out with an 8.8 rear end and a locking diff along with some mild upgrades to the drive train and suspension.

I have a 1995 ford ranger 2.3L with the same suspension that it left the factory with, literally. I run 31x10.5R15 BFG KO2 tires on all 4 corners. I have no rubbing issues except on full lock-out going up crappy edge or hitting a dip going full speed but even then it's very minimal and only sometimes. I was heavily considering the Rough Country leveling coils with Bilsteins. I have heard good things, mainly being increased clearance and price but I changed my mind when I saw it did not truly level out the front end with the rear end on my brother's 97 single cab. Keep in mind this one person's opinion and a culmination of internet research based on reviews from what I read online. While Bilsteins are considered second to none, the folks at their company said their shock would not support anything bigger than stock height or the 5100s 4 inches of lift. Being that I am aiming for 2-3 inches of lift up front, I passed.

After talking to the folks over at Skyjackers and reading reviews on their suspensions, I bit the bullet on the price (which isn't the worst, to say the least, buying during a sale certainly helped out as well ). Word of advice to youngsters from an experienced classic car builder, "buy once, cry once"

I wound up going with the 132X front leveling coils along with their M95 shocks (M9552 up front and M9558 in the rear). Yes, the sales reps do say the 132X coil is meant for the 93-97 extra cab/4.0 models but knowing that the spring would fit and that the spring rate would allow for use for lighter weight up front, I took the calculated risk. The install was fairly straightforward. My Ranger is a California truck so I didn't even have to spray down my bolts. Everything came out very easily. Don't forget to unbolt your front sway bar to let the suspension droop enough so the coils simply twist completely and slide out.

The 132X ended up giving me a great 2.5 inch lift that has my truck's front end level or slightly higher than the rear. The ride quality combo from the 132X/M95 is SURREAL. Freeway cruising (which is what I do 95% of the time in Los Angeles) is awesome. The ride is nice and smooth, not harsh at all. Keep in mind I have yet to replace the rear leaf springs.

Offroad is where this suspension set-up REALLY shines, if something out there exists that is better I would be SHOCKED. This suspension seems to come to life off-road. Smooth while keeping you stable, it handles small woops, ledges and bumps like butter! I did get a lot of positive camber after the install and the last 1 inch of lift didn't come until the suspension settled after about 1 or 2 weeks or maybe after its shakedown run off-road. I was also carrying a camper shell so that may have played a role in the suspension settling.

I have yet to install the camber bushings to correct for the positive camber which is caused by the taller coils. Will post on this in the future! Have some off-brand tires on her right now that I don't mind chewing up.

Let me know if ya'll have any recommendations for rear leaf springs or rear end set-up? I was thinking about Deaver leaf springs from Santa Ana. If you want any other information or advice on anything advice with these parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals