• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995-current gage cluster removal (pic intensive)

B30004X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Chevy
F
Engine Size
3.0 V6, 4.3 V6, 4.0 V6, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ok. Is there a disconnect for the wire then?

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i believe so i dont have any pics but from what i remember it has a hole at the end of the wire (like a loop) and it slides up and over a pin thats all. not a very good explanation sorry
________
Web Shows

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The auto selector pointer actually comes off the cluster, there is two small pins that need to be pressed together to release it from the cluster, so removal is easy...
SVT

Whiskey990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
The removal process was going smoothly until I came across the shifter linkage....A white plastic piece came out from the cluster but the cable did not. So i replaced the bulbs in the tight space leaving the linkage connected. When I came to put it all back together I found I had to remove the plastic clear cover first. After playing around with this my shifter selection needle won't jump properly to the right gear even after trying to adjust it. Lastly my red leds from superbrightleds don't actually light up the cluster that well, and especially not the climate control...

So I suppose mine is more of that horror story :( I spent about two and a half hours playing with this project. It makes me a little frustrated, but I know it was my need to toy with it that led to these issues. Oh well! I have a new respect for those who calmly perform this job!

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Yeah sorry about the lack of automatic information. We have one auto in our whole family, and that's my youngest brother's. The rest of the fleet is entirely manual. I haven't driven an automatic in years...

I know some other people with Rangers (and have auto's), maybe I can offer to change their bulbs for them and get the true complete'd faq.

I used the single LED ones with the 120° angle, mine light up just fine? If anything they're brighter. I haven't messed with the ones in the radio area at all.

Here's my Gages with "Bright White" LED's. It is actually a bit brighter, I have a cheap camera.

At some point I'd like to fine tune the cluster and actually get back to the green, but that's a little ways off. And yes, the filter is actually a blue, not green. It shines through green because of the yellowish light of the incandescent bulbs.

Bryan101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
what about the ones in the cruise control? how do you get to those?

Meddle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thought I would add some pictures to help out owners of automatics.

Here Is the shifter cable attached to the pointer module,after it has been removed from the cluster.Note that the white plastic end of the cable should clip into the bottom of the pointer module.Mine came out during removal.

Here is the bottom of the cluster where the module clips into.

Here is the module partially entered into the cluster,Note that the one in the picture is from a manual trans truck.So you can use a cluster from a manual Ranger.You just pop out the manual one and pop in your auto one attached to the shifter cable.You can see in this picture the two little plastic clips that must be pushed in to remove the module.

Be careful with the cable attached to the module.There is not much slack and I broke mine while trying to reinstall it.Now I have no gear pointer,so be carefull.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals