• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 B2300 ignition problem

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Owned this truck for about two years now. It has a manual transmission. Recently it doesn't always start when I turn the ignition knob. The lights on the dash come on when the knob passes the first click, but when it reaches the start position nothing happens. No crank, no clicking from the alternator or other noise. It acts like the knob is still at the first position. If I back the switch up and try again, usually it will fire right up.

Now it sometimes takes two tries to start, and I'm worried eventually it will just give up and not start at all. I suspect it might be the ignition switch, but is there anything else I should look at? It does not have any problems with the engine dying once it has started.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The manual has a few things to look at and all Rangers can experience the symptoms for a few reasons otherwise.

First up is the clutch interlock located on the clutch pedal. Not usually anything you can do with that other than disconnect the switch and jump the red and pink wires. If the truck starts every time after that then the switch is wonky.

The second thing that comes to mind is there is a starter relay on the driver side (or passenger) fender that has all the power lines to the starter. There is also a small red boot connected to the post marked "S" (for start or starter). This boot is the ignition power feed to the relay and if it is loose or corroded you will get nothing from turning the key...it may be that the wire is also loose on the column but that is not likely.

Why it doesn't start is usually a matter of contact with that post on the relay...clean it up or crimp it with pliers if it feels really loose...if that does help you might want to just cut the boot off and add on an eye connector that fits the post and find the nut to hold it on...I've done this with the last two vehicles due to the same issue.

Only other thing I can think of is your wiring harness to that power feed is loose or corroded...or possibly being chewed by mice...which can happen...but check the first two out and maybe someone else can offer more possibles...

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It will crank on the 2nd or 3rd try without letting off the clutch pedal. Does that eliminate the clutch interlock switch as the source of the problem?

I planned to replace the ignition switch anyway because it's getting pretty loose. Is it possible to have the new ignition rekeyed so I don't have to have a separate key for the doors and ignition? Also, I see it's possible to pick up an ignition switch for a 1995 Ranger much cheaper than a B2300. I assume they are the same part and interchangeable?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ignition switch is under the steering column, the ignition Key switch is connected to a rod that goes down to ignition switch.
When you turn the key the rod slides the ignition switch into its various positions, if Key switch is loose it may not be sliding ignition switch all the way to the end to make contact to send power to starter relay/solenoid

Yes you can take your current key to a locksmith, with the new key switch, and he/she can re-key it to match current key

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Like Ron said, the key/cylinder and the ignition switch are two different parts connected by a rod. So either could be bad. If the cylinder is loose in the column you need to fix that first.

To test the clutch interlock it can be jumpered (but, be careful while it is, because it will start in gear) to determine if it is the problem. Just pull the connector off and insert a paper clip or a small wire into the slots.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll do the lock cylinder first, since that looks like an easy job and I need a new one anyway.

Is there any difference between these two parts?

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/183763-ignition-lock-cylinder-locksmart-lc14390.html

http://www.autozone.com/interior/ignition-lock-cylinder/locksmart-ignition-lock-cylinder/76976_0_0/

First one is for the Ranger and costs $16.99. Second one is for the B2300 and is $40.99. I can't see any difference between the two except $24 and some minor cosmetics differences on the little "wings." The one that is in my truck now actually looks like the Ranger version.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Parts are 99.99% (exaggerated a bit) interchangeable between the Ranger & Mazda pickups.
Add to the above this link:
http://www.autozone.com/1/products/40934-ignition-lock-cylinder-locksmart-lc63180.html

Can't tell which one fits which. The above 63180 lists Ranger 2WD in the description.

Part numbers & fitment seems to have gone to the dogs lately. Multiple different parts for disk brake pads for the same truck is one example. Makes me wonder how they ever got them assembled with the *right* parts... or did they?
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals