• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 3.0L Cam Syncronizer swap

defrag4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, yet another cam syncro thread... lol

I just picked a 95 4x4 3.0L down here in Baja, Mexico, it is in pretty damn good shape. Going to be our beach/desert/mountain camping/exploration rig.

Its has 144K on it and the PO has no idea if the camshaft synchronizer was ever changed, peeking at the cap it looks like its the original. I would like to change it for the peace of mind not having to worry if my motor is going to die of oil starvation randomly one day.

I am having trouble tracking down an actual Motorcraft part down here in my little town, Vatozone only has Duralast and the other parts store only has Standard Motor company or Spectra, Ive heard the duralast is crap, any clues on the Standard Motor brand? Pretty sure Spectra is junk

Also I am reading about some tomfoolery regarding the 95 4.0L cam sync and sensor being a bit different (shorter length of cam and only 2-wire sensor) than later years due to it being the first year of OBDII, any idea if this applies to the 3.0L as well?

I have read plenty of how-tos that cover the install and it looks fairly straight foward, just want to make sure I get the right part before I start tearing into her.

Heres some pics of the ol girl down by the beach here in Baja, pretty damn clean for a 24 year old truck!!

JeremyS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For something this critical I would stick with Motorcraft. Does Amazon or Rock Auto offer shipping options to Mexico?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah that's really clean looking. You can get the motorcraft ones online on rock auto or ebay. ebay had a motorcraft for mine for about $130. Might be able to get it cheaper on Amazon but I don't use Amazon. It doesn't sound like you have symptoms of a bad or going bad synchro so I would say you are safe waiting a few days for shipping.

defrag4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys, looks like I can get a Motorcraft one from Amazon shipped down here, $100 plus $30 for customs duty, not so bad!

defrag4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
went ahead and ordered the motorcraft sensor as well, figured it couldnt hurt to swap them both out.

Note: the part numbers for the 1995 3.0 motor were different than others that I found posted on this site and elsewhere (and a bit more expensive too! :( )

These are the ones rockauto and amazon both agreed were correct for the 95
Cam Sync -Motorcraft DA2094 - Cam Sensor - Motorcraft DU57 Cam Position Sensor - https://amzn.to/2u0upE1

Most places I saw DA2089 listed for the cam sync and DU81 for the sensor, not sure if these would also work in the 1995, :dunno: they would save you about $50 bucks if you could use them instead, figured I better not chance it, not exactly easy to return crap down here

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals