• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 2WD Ranger 2.3L Leaking Oil Pan Gasket

Johnrc22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 1995 Ranger has had a leaking oil pan gasket since I got it about 6 years ago. The truck really has no other mechanical problems and runs just fine. I've decided to bite the bullet and pull the engine to fix the oil leak. I am hoping to get some advice/recommendations from you all as to what I should replace/fix as a preventative measure while I have the engine out. It has the 2.3L engine, it's a 2WD and has the five speed manual transmission. It has about 150,000 miles on it. I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks

John

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Idk if your has same oil pump on 91 ranger 2.3 But i would swap that atleast. there usually last thing to fail but cant hurt to swap. Clean the oil pickup screen sometimes oil pan gasket debri gets clogged.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most use RTV(silicone) on oil pan gaskets, which is fine, just don't overdue it, when you tighten up the pan the silicone will squeeze out INSIDE the oil pan, and when it drys can fall off and plug up the pick up screen

Seen it alot in older engines after previous owners tried temp fixes to fix leaks, loosened the oil pan a bit and pumped in the RTV, then tightened it back up.

It is good to use some as it seals uneven spots and holds gaskets in place, more is not better in this case.

Cork gaskets are better for oil pan and valve cover gaskets, over time they swell from contact with oil, making them seal better
Rubber gaskets are used when you will be pulling valve covers off and putting them back on several times, because that can be reused.

Oil pan and valve cover areas should have NEGATIVE pressure inside when engine is running, thats what the PCV valve and PCV system is for.
So if your PCV Valve gets clogged up it can cause oil leaks, so good reason to check it and change it every few years

While any engine is out its good to replace the rear main seal, its a cheap part(maybe $10) but hard to get at if it starts to leak, have to pull transmission(or engine) to get to it

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't think they make cork gaskets for 2.3 oil pans, at least not the newer ones. They're a molded rubber piece that slips into a groove in the oil pan...just like the 4.0. The older 2.3's had steel oil pans that you could use cork gaskets with.

Rear main, clutch, slave cylinder while it's out.

Johnrc22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ron and Shran, thanks for the replies and helpful tips.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals