• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 2.3L Acceleration problems...need help please!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Heres's the story...
When I was driving at 60mph, all of my coolant leaked out and the engine started heating very fast and it turned off by itself:bawling:. I found out that one of the heater hoses went loose because of a broken "device" wich my teacher told me it was used to warm the coolant that went to the heater or so. I didnt want to spend money so I just took that "device" out and baypassed it and now I think it goes all direct not having to go to the heater core or through that device. Now here's the problem, when I turn on the engine, the temp gauge never rises even if Im driving it at 4,600 rmp through all gears and it kind of hesitates or it has some pull or bounce when I accelerate. I believe its the thermostat wich I think its not working because its not allowing the engine to reach operating temp, but I dont know:dunno:. I just wanna hear something from u guys. Ill put pics later to let u know what "device" Im talking about but any help would be greatly apreciated

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It does sound like a stuck open thermostat.

You should also make sure the coolant is full.
Sometimes you have to burp the top hose to get all the air out.

The device you mention closes off coolant flow to the heater when Max AC is selected.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
But does the hesitation has to do something with the thermostat and the temp of the engine?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's very likely running rich because the CTS (Computer's coolant temp sensor) is telling the computer the coolant isn't very hot, because it isn't. So yes, I'd guess the two problems are directly related.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Im gonna have to replace the thermostat and maybe flush the cooling system cause I found some rust... thanks for your help, I really apreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals