• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 v8 swap from 00 explorer

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the process of the v8 swap from 00 explorer. Its time for the wiring part. Engine is mounted with transmission. My question is what do i do with the factory wiring for lights and the stock fuse box? Do i remove the fusebox and pin it all into the explorer fuse box?

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If you want to.

Or stack them if you want.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would think the explorer fuse box would be better to use with its harness

The 1994 lights looks to have just 3 fuses in the engine fuse box, if you have fog lights, 2 without fog lights

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then the ignition switch and cab fuse box also had 3 wires/fuses in the engine fuse box

1994 diagrams below

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You do have PATS to deal with or Delete, I think 2000 explorer used separate PATS module above glove box, this unit grounded the starter relay on the engine fuse box if Key passed the test, and also sent the "OK to start" code to PCM
So even if you have PATS deleted from PCM you would still need to find and ground the starter relay wire full time to get starter to work

Also the 1994 fuel system is 30psi Return type, 2000 needs 55psi

The Ranger 1998 and up Rangers used Returnless fuel system that uses a fuel pressure regulator(FPR) on/in the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank and a 3 port fuel filter
The 3rd port on filter runs back to gas tank's FPR, so its not actually a returnless system, lol
I think the 1998-2000 fuel pump assemblies fit in the 1994 gas tanks, but you would need the shorter return line from new 3 port filter to top of gas tank
But not sure on this

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do have PATS to deal with or Delete, I think 2000 explorer used separate PATS module above glove box, this unit grounded the starter relay on the engine fuse box if Key passed the test, and also sent the "OK to start" code to PCM
So even if you have PATS deleted from PCM you would still need to find and ground the starter relay wire full time to get starter to work

Also the 1994 fuel system is 30psi Return type, 2000 needs 55psi

The Ranger 1998 and up Rangers used Returnless fuel system that uses a fuel pressure regulator(FPR) on/in the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank and a 3 port fuel filter
The 3rd port on filter runs back to gas tank's FPR, so its not actually a returnless system, lol
I think the 1998-2000 fuel pump assemblies fit in the 1994 gas tanks, but you would need the shorter return line from new 3 port filter to top of gas tank
But not sure on this
thanks i will more than likely move everything over to the explorer box under the hood. now what would be the best way to do that de pin or just cut and splice? also whats the best way to keep track of what circuit is where after i move it all over.
i will most likely be putting all the pats junk up under the dash until i get a tune to delete it. im not sure where to get that done.
thanks so much for your guidance ron.

Char446

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is really helpful I’m goin tomorrow to pick up my doner a 2000 Mountaineer just got a 2ed ranger a 96

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals