• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger xlt 4x4 4.0L V6 Performance Upgrades and Maintenance

waugh12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Where should I start? I want two main things... more power, and more clearance (surprised?). Right now everything on the truck is stock and has been well maintained throughout the life of the truck. I am a Forestry student that would like to be use my truck on the highway and off road with out any worries, and I have a limited budget. I am basically looking for a check list of what I should be doing so I can transform my stock ranger into a lean mean machine... basically i want my truck to become a TRUCK.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
You want a good lift for more clearance, James Duff and Skyjacker seem to be the most durable. As far as upgrading your 4.0, I wouldn't really bother. It's got some awesome low-end torque anyways. You won't find bolt on performance for it very easily, if you're honestly serious about power, go 5.0 swap or do a complete rebuild of your 4.0.

It is NOT a Vulcan, that's the 3.0. You have a Cologne, named after the town the engine design was originally made in, in Germay.

LHP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are on a tight budget I would put the money into a lift and tires. The 4.0L has more than enough power. Tires will eat up a budget FAST!

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where should I start? I want two main things... more power, and more clearance (surprised?). Right now everything on the truck is stock and has been well maintained throughout the life of the truck. I am a Forestry student that would like to be use my truck on the highway and off road with out any worries, and I have a limited budget. I am basically looking for a check list of what I should be doing so I can transform my stock ranger into a lean mean machine... basically i want my truck to become a TRUCK.
If you are on a super budget and are looking for a lift for over-all body clearance, you can do a body lift for Pennies, or around $130 for most kits I'm seeing. (3 inch usually)

I'd hit up Craigslist for tires/rim, a word to the wise, Jeep rims/tires typically match bolt patterns to the ranger.

As mentioned, don't waste money on performance, Just tune it up and call it a day, should be fine.

I'd recommend investing money in ensuring that the suspension is in good shape (Balljoints/endlinks/axles/ujoints/etc)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, focus on your suspension/lift. The colognes were pretty well maxed from the factory and make a lot more low end power than the really should. Just like the 4.0 is the performance upgrade to the 2.9, the 5.0 is the upgrade for the 4.0.

If you get your lift and tires on and it's a gutless wonder, re-gear it to get your performance back.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
I just did a bunch of stuff on my '93 along the same lines as what you are thinking. The truck had a body lift but I did a shackle and washer lift on the cheap too. Check out my thread for some inspiration.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Coil spacers and add a leafs are cheap and you don't have the look of a body lift. I know James duff or skyjacker are a lot more expensive then let's say rough country. But I still regret buying the RC one sometimes, now don't get me wrong it's been a good kit. It's done what I need it to do except I know need a different bracket for my axle swap. You won't have to worry with that part. But man how I want that James duff kit!!!

waugh12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I just did a bunch of stuff on my '93 along the same lines as what you are thinking. The truck had a body lift but I did a shackle and washer lift on the cheap too. Check out my thread for some inspiration.
Thank you very much! Your truck looks awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to post up some pictures and help out people like me. I'll be sure to put up some pictures and info on my progress with my '94.

waugh12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to everyone on here who has helped out on this thread. This is my first time using one, and I f'n love it! My truck thanks all of you.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
supersixmotorsports.com and JamesDuff.com

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, focus on your suspension/lift. The colognes were pretty well maxed from the factory and make a lot more low end power than the really should. Just like the 4.0 is the performance upgrade to the 2.9, the 5.0 is the upgrade for the 4.0.

If you get your lift and tires on and it's a gutless wonder, re-gear it to get your performance back.
I completely disagree about the 4.0. You can make some really, really nasty torque from a built 4.0. Stock for stock, a 4.0 is a better motor for a truck than a 5.0, since it has more low-end torque. You can bore and stroke it, mild cam, port the intake, up the compression, ect. But, this isn't bolt on performance, it's a complete engine rebuild. Hell, we have members with turbos, twin turbos, sequential turbos, and superchargers on here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals