• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1994 Ranger smoking.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The 5 speed manual transmissions do not have the modulator as mentioned before. Those are for automatic transmissions only.

Manual transmissions in the 94 ranger do not use the trans cooler in the radiator,this to is an automatic usage item. So you won't see trans fluid in the radiator with a manual trans.

The M5OD trans are common to leak especially the top seal on the trans.

Last edited:

Devvonc94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Ok well I have figured out the problem upon removal of the head. Had to buy a couple special tools for this but it wasn't too terrible. I found that I sucked a valve. Nothing else is damaged and I plan to flush motor but I'm unsure what's gonna be the most cost effective way to go about rebuilding the head. Buy a new one? Rebuild it? Anyone have any experience with the 2.3l and rebuilding the head? Or have good recommendations otherwise? Thanks!

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh dang. How many miles are on the engine?

Since you have the head off I'd have it checked out by a machine shop and gone through. You could just cheap out and replace that valve...but you're already this far in... however I don't know how reconditioning that head will compare with a brand new one. My buddy just put a new pair of heads on his 4.0 because the machine shop wanted very close to that same cost to go through his old ones.

Devvonc94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Oh dang. How many miles are on the engine?

Since you have the head off I'd have it checked out by a machine shop and gone through. You could just cheap out and replace that valve...but you're already this far in... however I don't know how reconditioning that head will compare with a brand new one. My buddy just put a new pair of heads on his 4.0 because the machine shop wanted very close to that same cost to go through his old ones.
I have about 180k on this motor. I've been calling around machine shops but I'm reluctant to just drop my head off somewhere when they can't even give me a price ya know? I thought wouldn't a new top end possibly weaken this bottom end? Im real lost on this one. Everything seems straight since I've had this truck no overheating ever! Actually stayed closer to the cold side. But, from what I can tell the valve guide seals are gone. Head gasket looked new but there was evidence of coolant on the valves.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I always ask them for "worst case scenario assuming it's not cracked" That way they factor in cleanup, new valves/springs/valve job, guides, seals, etc... Most machine shops are like that, they won't give you an estimate without looking at it, but they will ALWAYS give you a worse case number and work down from there. That way you can compare against a new complete head.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals