• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger Oil Pan - Help!

blbzeckhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So, anyone following me or my Engine swap out, here is my next dilema. Complete Engine swap on my 94 Ranger 4.0L OHV 4X4 Auto complete. This past weekend finished complete install. Installed junkyard motor and added New: Plugs, Oil Filter, Water Pump, Thermostat, Heater Core, Radiator, Condenser, temps sensor, low oil sensor, oil pressure switch, and exhuast head pipe. Basic stuff, I did not tear down or replace anything else already on. I wanted this to be a drop in install, lol. Anyway, so after all I been through I completed installing everything. Last step - Put in motor oil, Coolant, P.S. fluid, & Coolant and start.
HERE IS MY NEW ISSUE:
Before 1st start after adding fluids, saw a small puddle on the floor. Ends up its motor oil? OK, so I check filter housing. Filter. Drain plug? I keep wiping oil off pan and discover a hiarline crack in the Oil pan. Really. I dont think it was or is possible to see it before hand, but GD. Hell, if I knew it had a cracked Oil pan from the junkyard I would have put the original on? The yard drains the engines and them pressure washes them before you buy. No way to detect a hairline crack. Once new oil was put in, it started to seep out of the crack.
Now What? According to the book, to Replace the engine Oil pan on this truck - Remove Engine?
HELL TO THE NO.
Seriously?
I called my local Ford dealer and they said it is possible to replace without a complete uninstall but the options are slim.
1 - Hoist engine off engine mounts and trans mount enough to maybe clear pan and out?
2 - Remove front differential? (got to love 4wd) ....a cluster
I am so, pissed.
In reality, all in all the motor runs GREAT. It purrs like a kitten. I drove it around the block and it will tear the tires off when you hit the gas. Runs solid, no check engine lights, NO way of knowing the Oil pan had a crack. Now what? I DONT think I have it in me to pull motor and dissassemble it all again. Frig
Please send me suggestions.
I have heard JB weld, or some sort of Epoxy - which sounds real good.
I work in a Dealership/Bodyshop and it was suggested to weld it. (DOES anyone know what the oil pan for this truck is made of?)
I dont think its steel. Either Aluminum or Magnesium and if so prob no welding
I still have a perfectly good oil pan Core, but I cant see a complete disassembly to change out the Oilpan. I am so Distraught
Save me Now!!!!

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Where abouts in the pan is the crack? JB weld could do wonders for this situation if you can get the pan clean and it is accessible to get a good JB mix onto it. The yard may have set the engine onto the floor with the weight being supported on the pan. seen this happen more than once and a possible crack could occur then. To remove the pan with engine staying in the bay is difficult to near impossible, so an engine pull would probably be the answer.

Trying to remove oil pans while in a truck is like saying you can replace lifters without removing the heads... just won't happen easy without busting stuff or just costing twice the time.

sorry to hear the bad luck... hang in there. cheers

place a magnet on the pan, does it stick? this will let you know of the steel content.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
The problem isnt the pan coming out as much as it is the pickup tube and screen for the oil pump....

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
This is a "pay me now or pay me later" situation. You can go ahead and pull the motor and replace the pan. Or you can waste a whole bunch of time, money and cuss words trying other stuff first. But in the end, you'll pull the motor and replace the pan.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
I tried just about anything I could on a volvo I had, to fix a cracked oil pan, all options faild eventually, I even took it off and brazed the darned thing and it still seaped a bit in places where the oil refused to be cleaned from. aluminum needs to be 100% clean for this to work

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
New pan. Save yourself a bunch of trouble and just bite the bullet and do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals