• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger 4x4 XLT Inner Tie Rod Torque Specs

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Does anybody know the torque specs for inner tie rods on a 1993-1997 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4? After watching videos then looking at my tie rods, the inners are different than newer rangers. Instead of threading into the steering rack, the two inner tie rods are connected with another bar going into the steering column. I can not find a video on this same style. A picture is attached below of what I mean.
Along with this, does anybody know if I need both sides of the truck jacked up at the same time? It seems that this would be easiest after giving it a good look.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not sure of the exact spec on those. The biggest thing is when you pull them tight that you continue to tighten the nut until the cotter key hole lines up with the castle nut. Never loosen them to get them to line up.

This is a torque spec table by bolt size....

SAE Bolt Torque Specifications – The Ranger Station

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Most tapered tie rod ends go to roughly 35-40 ft pounds I think and like uncle gump said never back it off. I don't think I've ever torqued an old school tie rod end. Just tight ratchet tight and cotter pin.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure of the exact spec on those. The biggest thing is when you pull them tight that you continue to tighten the nut until the cotter key hole lines up with the castle nut. Never loosen them to get them to line up.

This is a torque spec table by bolt size....

SAE Bolt Torque Specifications – The Ranger Station
Thanks for the reply! I ended up not doing the tie rods as I planned to today because my truck nearly fell off the jackstand on one side! 😳 Dodged a bullet on that one… My damn neighborhood has no flat areas so I was working on the flattest part of the street I could find… Usually works fine when doing one side at a time but for these tie rods it looks like you have to do both sides at the same time ( I could be wrong but it looks that way). Do you know if it’s possible to do it one side at a time?
Anyways it scared the crap out of me and thank god I wasn’t under the truck and it didn’t fall off!!

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Most tapered tie rod ends go to roughly 35-40 ft pounds I think and like uncle gump said never back it off. I don't think I've ever torqued an old school tie rod end. Just tight ratchet tight and cotter pin.
Thanks that is what I was planning on doing from the videos I watched! From the picture I posted, you can see the transmission pan. It’s all gunked up with something. Do you think that’s an oil leak from the engine? I’ve seen that black gunk on some other stuff in the engine bay while working on my cooling system and I have no clue what it could be… Also worth noting the water pump was covered in it when I replaced it, could it be coolant? The truck was losing coolant slowly over time for awhile before I replaced the water pump and haven’t driven enough to tell if it’s still going to be losing coolant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals