• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 ranger / 1997 explorer 5.0 efi swap

Jstout752

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I recently purchased a 97 all wheel drive 5.0 explorer I know I screwed that up but I’m a beginner and looking for all the help and pointers y’all are willing to help with I allready have the directions from ranger station on the swap in my 1994 2wd ranger probably gonna stick a t5 transmission in it

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I like the T5 better but the consensus on here seems to be that the Mazda M5OD is easier to use. The catch is that you need an M5OD from a 97-04 F150 with a 4.2 and those were extremely rare around here. If you have some experience and fabrication skills I'd use a T5. The 97 Explorer exhaust manifolds are extremely restrictive, I used manifolds with 66 full size Ford part numbers to put the 351 into my 93, I think 289 Hipo manifolds would work too but the Galaxie manifolds were $40 and I'm a NH Yankee.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals