• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford ranger intake

Brick+Truck=Good

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L 6 Cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Okay, new to the website.
I've been searching for two weeks with no luck.
My "aircleaner outlet tube" tore and has destroyed the integrity of the intake,
so I searched for a replacement, to only find they stopped making it. Most suggestions were to find a junkyard... to my dismay the nearby junkyards are
fresh out. I am searching for not as expensive alternative to putting a
completely different intake or an intake I'd beable to order from a different
model that would fit.

The engine is a 1994 4.0L 6Cyl in an XLT

Any help would be helpful. If there is already a post answering my questions,
please let me know.

Brick+Truck=Good

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L 6 Cyl.
Transmission
Manual
yes, I took that route already, still am, with no luck. however I know there is no aftermarket intake specifically for the 1994, I am asking for information on a different intake that may be compatible.

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hey man,
I have a 94 4.0... the newer ranger explorer intakes will work with your ranger... you have to use a cone filter and a maf adapter... i bought a maf adapter off of e-bay for 10 bucks.. found a (i think 2000 model) explorer intake tube at a junk yard for cheap. and bought a generic k&n cone filter for about 25 bucks... this will put the filter right behind the passenger side headlight... it is pretty much what you would get if you bought an after market cold air intake.
you may need to rig up a bracket or a zip tie system to help secure the filter end of the intake... i'll take pics of mine and post them in the morning if you want.

Brick+Truck=Good

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L 6 Cyl.
Transmission
Manual
that sounds awesome, I appreciate the tip I'll check it out.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hey man,
I have a 94 4.0... the newer ranger explorer intakes will work with your ranger... you have to use a cone filter and a maf adapter... i bought a maf adapter off of e-bay for 10 bucks.. found a (i think 2000 model) explorer intake tube at a junk yard for cheap. and bought a generic k&n cone filter for about 25 bucks... this will put the filter right behind the passenger side headlight... it is pretty much what you would get if you bought an after market cold air intake.
you may need to rig up a bracket or a zip tie system to help secure the filter end of the intake... i'll take pics of mine and post them in the morning if you want.
If you're no longer using the stock air box, what did you do about the vacuum line that goes into it? Just plug it?

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i punched a hole in the polyurethane boot that fits over the adapter right at the base of the filter and made a vacuum port that i connected the line to... i'll post some pics when i get off work.

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hey man i finally got some pics.... there are two vacuum lines on your air box... one of them will come out when you remove the air box the other needs to be attached to the intake (before the maf). i have been running this setup for 2.5 years now and not had a single problem out of it. my truck has got 253,000 miles on it and the engine is stock and has never had to be opened for any major problems... also you need to get the line, that connects to the oil breather (right at the oil fill cap) to your intake, from the vehicle that you get the intake from. the one from your stock intake will not work with it.

Attachments

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hey man i finally got some pics.... there are two vacuum lines on your air box... one of them will come out when you remove the air box the other needs to be attached to the intake (before the maf). i have been running this setup for 2.5 years now and not had a single problem out of it. my truck has got 253,000 miles on it and the engine is stock and has never had to be opened for any major problems... also you need to get the line, that connects to the oil breather (right at the oil fill cap) to your intake, from the vehicle that you get the intake from. the one from your stock intake will not work with it.
Well i'll be damned, nice work!

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

yeah i think that is what the description was when i bought mine... but its been so long that i'm not really positive what it said.... it should work... i don't think that there was any difference in the size of the maf between 94 and 95. as long as the bolt holes on it match your MAF then your good. even it they don't match you could drill out new ones. also i would consider buying some gasket material or a tube of silicon at your local auto store so you can make a gasket between the adapter and your maf.

Brick+Truck=Good

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L 6 Cyl.
Transmission
Manual
hey, blh the only question I have about your intake change, is that it has a cone unshielded from the under the hood engine heat. Is it pulling more air from outside somehow. I know I've seen some people replace a stock coldair intake with a cone, expecting better performance only to learn the under the hood heat is now being pulled in faster and causing harm to the vehicles performance/credibility. I have to admit, I haven't poked around under my hood for a month now because my camaro is going through a revamp for resale purposes.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll check out my parts truck and let you know if I have one.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
on these trucks there are two concerns with an open cone filter: heatsoak and exposure to elements.

I think heatsoak would be rare due to the location of the filter in relation to the motor, and there is an inlet of cold air right behind the headlight, so this might be a minimal concern.

For those of use who off road their trucks, we may need to be concerned about mud/water that would splash up and soak that filter element. My truck has some splash guards but I have opened my hood after some aggressive puddle bashing and seen water and mud splashed all over in there.

For those who mildly off road their truck, or drive on the street, I think this is a great mod. Don't expect 20hp or really hardly any power from a filter swap, but I know from experience that cone filters give a motor a real cool induction sound, slight performance gains, and cheaper long-term maintenance (these cone filters are usually washable)

keithisg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey if you never ended up finding one I have a stock explorer airbox and intake tube you can have for free if you pay shipping. I took the MAF sensor out though. PM me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals