• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Explorer dash in 1988 ranger

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
hello everyone. I’m new here and was hoping maybe someone has done this already but I’m in the middle of restoring and customizing a 1988 Ford ranger. The ranger had a 2.3 5 speed and was 4wd and wouldn’t get out of its own way. I recently bought a 1994 Ford Explorer 4wd and a 5 speed. I’m wanting to take the engine and transmission out of the 94 explorer and drop it in the 88 ranger along with all the dash components. Has anyone done this ? I have a pretty good bit of knowledge and tools as well as a shop and have fabrication skills so I’m more than capable of achieving this goal but was just wanting to here some experience from somebody that may have done it already. Thanks

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Nothing is impossible. Have a look in the tech library there might be a link.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Welcome to the show. From the home page open the menu and select ranger tech 1983 to 2011 when it opens scroll down to engine and fuel systems. Select that and it will contain a cornucopia of info on the swap you are doing. Lots of these fellas on here have accomplished them and they are great sources of additional info. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

rebuild83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 suspension
Tire Size
235/75 r 15
Just got done with the same swap. You will find everything you need in the Library. Good luck with your build it will be an easier swap

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Read my "I bought a high rider" thread here. I did something very similar, 92 dash and 4.0 into an '88. Very time consuming but it will fit.

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the input guys. My main concern is swapping the dash. I already know there not gonna be a Direct fit and was wondering if anyone has done this so I could maybe get a better idea on how to go about doing this.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS. Besides the tech library, there's a gold mine of information that can be found in posts by using the "search" feature.

Sounds like you're going to end up with a real nice truck. Good luck!

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
dose anyone know if that offer some headers and a nice duel exhaust set up for the 4.0 ohv ?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
rocketkart,

There are a number of companies that made headers for a Ford 92 ohv 4.0L; surprisingly, the headers for the Ford ohv 2.9L also line up correctly and even more shocking, FLOW better!!!

I recommend building your own exhaust. You will literally save $100's building your own from sourced components.

Stock will flow well with a 2½" single but if you put some work into the heads, you could make use of either a 2¾" single or a true dual 2" system.

I built a single 2½" for my 2.9L build and it is still awesome. I am building a true dual cross flow 2” system for my 4.0L build.

Last edited:

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So if I do my own exhaust System and do cat deletes, will I have a problem with not enough back pressure ? Also what’s a good sounding muffler ? I really don’t won’t it to sound like a pissed off bumblebee or a rice rocket or a retarded walrus. Just saying lol

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
rocketkart,

I see Absolutely no reason to remove the cats. I use high flow cats and they work great and do not break the the bank.

In regards to good sounding mufflers I have only found one company, BORLA! I use a 2.5" XR1 with the 2.9L but will use either 2 of their turbo style or 1 of their new crossflow dual in/dual out for the new dual set up.

To make a true dual set up, you may want to consider using a 86-88 style H pipe. It was designed for dual exhaust but Ford used a 2-in/1-out cat for single exhaust system???

While I don't know the truth behind Ford's thinking process I feel they knew the engine would benefit from a dual system but saving weight/cost probably took over their vision, resulting in what was sold to.the customer.

One thing for certain, a 2" true dual system through Borlas, it will have an unmistakable sounds at any RPM.

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
For those who want to know if a firewall out of a 94 explorer will fit in an 88 ranger, It will. Some trimming here and there and a few tack welds and seam sealer will look like new. I had to cut out the old firewall because of rust.

Attachments

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So today after work I started to mock up the dash. The mounts uptop of the dash are slightly different but I’ll fab something up to fix that. Other than that it looks like it’s gonna work.

Attachments

rocketkart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals