• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 coolant loss problem

NikBerndt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have something weird going on with my 94 4L 4x4 for the past while I have been losing coolant rapidly with no signs of problems. It is not blowing white, the exhaustdoes not smell sweet, my oil levels are still fine. I drove to kelowna 2 hours from where i live and on the way back the next day i noticed the temp gauge was going wacky from the bottom of normal to almost red then back down and it kept on doing that til this past day. I let the truck cool and popped the rad cap checked it filled it up. I added in some line sealant ment for small cracks in the head and or block. its been fine up until about 3 hours ago i went to get into it and the windsheild was green and fogged up. I realize that is a heater core problem, but would that explain why it was going wacky the other day or could there be more then just that wrong with it? the truck has 200100km's on it and is the first problem like this ive had. Im just hoping its not a head gasket or a cracked head, any advice would be appreciated? has anyone had this same problem by chance?

turboranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 ranger 2.3 t
Make / Model
other shit
Engine Size
2.3 turbo 275hp 20 psi 375hp 34psi ???
Transmission
Manual
bypass heater core see what happens.

un-hook your 2 heater hoses and join them.

is you carpet wet under heater core. or passenger floor

NikBerndt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no it isnt. but i have been looking for the directions to replace it and check im not 100% sure how to do it

turboranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 ranger 2.3 t
Make / Model
other shit
Engine Size
2.3 turbo 275hp 20 psi 375hp 34psi ???
Transmission
Manual
WET is wet

you by pass it, to test, if that is were the leak is. follow

2 hose leading into to fire wall. ????

onced bypassed .and stop loosing coolant.

take a guess at what it is. follow.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your temp gauge probably went wacky because the coolant was too low. That sensor is meant to read water temp and doesn't do well reading air temps. If the coolant gets low enough that it isn't submerged the gauge can do funny things.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When my 93 4.0 head gasket went it had none of those traditional signs.No white smoke,no water in oil, no oil in water.What it did do was over heat and loose water over a shorter and shorter time frame.

I don't think A person should ever tear apart a motor on a suspicion and you should do a block test if you have suspicions.I had another truck that I just bought a used motor for that I knew had a gasket or crack problem.Checked it as I was readying to take it apart and that wasn't the problem. Just replaced the head gasket on my Taurus and it looked real obvious and tested positive.

The point i'm really trying to make is what I did and many people do with head gasket problems is keep working on everything in the cooling system instead of checking the radiator for exhaust gases.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The point i'm really trying to make is what I did and many people do with head gasket problems is keep working on everything in the cooling system instead of checking the radiator for exhaust gases.
Not that that is the easiest test in the world. Very accurate, but not easy. Yu gotta go get the kit and everything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals