• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 B4000 A4LD to 4R55?

cameronsux123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi, my name is Cameron and I'm new here. I may be acquiring a 94 B4000 with a 4-speed auto and 4WD. All I know about the truck is that the trans fully off'd itself while pulling a trailer. I'm not really a Ford guy so forgive me if my terminology isn't up to par. From my own research I've found that the 1993-1994 4.0l autos were A4LDs and the B-series was always on the same page as the Ranger through it's lifetime. My question here is as the title suggests. I want to do a conversion since everywhere I've read about Ranger transmissions, the A4LD is always mentioned as the least reliable of all the models offered. I'm willing to do a little work to get a newer trans in if necessary. That said, I'm also considering a 5R55 instead of a 4R55, though that assumes that it's the same amount of work to go straight to the 5-speed. I know the 4R55/5R55 is electronically controlled and that the 1994s don't even have OBD2, let alone cross compatibility with models that do. If its not possible at all, let me know if there are other options I haven't heard about.
Anyway, all help is appreciated and if you need clarification on something, just ask.
Also, if you don't have any truly helpful information, don't bother replying. :)

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
4R44/4R55/5R44 are all downgrades.
BEST would be a performance built 4x4 A4LD - for reasons.
A 4x4 5R55E would be a good second choice, assuming you don't mind losing a gear (if you stay with the '94 PCM) or changing to an OBDII PCM.
I have been able to use a 4R44E as a 5R44E - but it required custom tuning.
I'm trying to "back-rev" and 5R55E to an A4LD in the near future...

cameronsux123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The thing is I really do not want to dump cash on another A4LD since I'm afraid it'll blow up again if I try to pull any small load. I do still plan on using the truck off road occasionally and the risk of it breaking off road is not one I want to take. Please note the previous trans had about 50k miles on it and did not show any signs of failure before it died, and the trailer was well within the rated load capacity (it was a single axle flat trailer carrying some camping equipment). I just want to know what the process would be to get a 4R55E mounted and driving properly behind an OBD1 4.0L.

I know the PCM is what controls the trans in these trucks so it seems to me a matter of either hacking up something to make the original PCM control the 4R55E somehow, or swapping a newer PCM in and hacking that into the original body, dash and engine harness.

I'll say it again, I don't want another A4LD. I want something newer and more sturdy to improve the truck, that's the whole point. Other than the trans, the truck is mint with 50,000 original miles and no rot anywhere, just surface rust on the frame and bumpers hence why I am set on reviving this particular truck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Stand alone controller.

cameronsux123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stand alone controller.
How would that work? Would it take input from the OBD1 signal and run the 4R55E? Also, do you have any brands or sellers to recommend?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'll say it again, I don't want another A4LD. I want something newer and more sturdy to improve the truck, that's the whole point.
Ummm you are aware that the 4r55e and 5r55e are A4LD transmissions right? All they did was put full electronic shift solenoids on a A4LD and call it a 4R55e. It's still the same transmission. The 5r55e is also the same, just different programming on the PCM. But in the end they are no stronger than the A4LD, because they are one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals