• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1994 2.3 L turbo

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
I've been looking into turboing my stock 2.3 L ranger and am wondering how i should re-tune my ecu/buy an aftermarket ecu. what would be the simplest way to do this?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It depends on how crazy you want to get... there isn't great support for the EEC IV system in the aftermarket without full replacement (I think megasquirt has a setup).

If you want the easiest way to do it I would get a Thunderbird TurboCoupe ECM, fuel injectors, baro sensor and vane airflow meter then repin your stock harness to adapt to that ECM

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
It depends on how crazy you want to get... there isn't great support for the EEC IV system in the aftermarket without full replacement (I think megasquirt has a setup).

If you want the easiest way to do it I would get a Thunderbird TurboCoupe ECM, fuel injectors, baro sensor and vane airflow meter then repin your stock harness to adapt to that ECM
not looking to run any crazy boost pressure, maybe 5-7 psi. i'm certainly willing to do the work to save money as this is going to be more of a hobby project, with that in mind that looks like a solution i might look into, would i have to do any re-tuning if i got my hands on one of those ecu's?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
that is cheap for what you get. ridiculousy cheap. it has a fair amount of self tuning.

moates with a lima 2.5 setup from an obd2 application would be ideal for tuning with newer stuff.

we are at the point now....that using eec4 stuff is futile. the base cost of the pimp is nice....and really high in function with its ability to work with corn juice. unless you can score a perfect funtion t coupe or svo setup for free to 300 bux... hard to do.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, $800 isn't bad really... thunderchicken parts aren't as easy to come by as they used to be, getting the ECM is one thing, getting the VAM and connectors is another deal...

but that said, if you are just going for 5-7psi you might be able to take some shortcuts... one step bigger injectors and running premium with an adjustable wastegate setting so you can lock in the top end (blow off valves are cool and all but I hear they play heck with mass airflow systems). I hear 5-7 is the limit for stock pistons anyway and is what I'm thinking of doing on my '97 eventually just to help things a bit...

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, $800 isn't bad really... thunderchicken parts aren't as easy to come by as they used to be, getting the ECM is one thing, getting the VAM and connectors is another deal...

but that said, if you are just going for 5-7psi you might be able to take some shortcuts... one step bigger injectors and running premium with an adjustable wastegate setting so you can lock in the top end (blow off valves are cool and all but I hear they play heck with mass airflow systems). I hear 5-7 is the limit for stock pistons anyway and is what I'm thinking of doing on my '97 eventually just to help things a bit...
The turbo i've been looking at is one with an adjustable wastegate, also running higher octane isn't something i'd like to do as this is going to be a car i put alot of miles on and would prefer to run 87/89 in it, i'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy the more expensive system so that i can tune it to what i want.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The turbo i've been looking at is one with an adjustable wastegate, also running higher octane isn't something i'd like to do as this is going to be a car i put alot of miles on and would prefer to run 87/89 in it, i'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy the more expensive system so that i can tune it to what i want.

Forced induction and <91 octane don't mix, for the most part. Especially If your not going to do anything about the static compression ratio. If your dead set on a turbo, get the wallet ready for weekly doses of 91.. 93 would be better.

What turbo are you looking at that has an internal adjustable wastegate? Do NOT trust Chinese wastegates, internal OR external. That's a part your gonna want to spend real money on for the real thing. Running an electric or manual boost controller would be advisable too. Gives you much better and much finer control over boost levels than the wastegate spring alone.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have one of those adjustable bleed valves on the wastegate hose on mine, adjusted it till it was at the 12-14psi point I wanted and locked it down, but I have stock 8:1 forged pistons so I know they can take some abuse...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I have one of those adjustable bleed valves on the wastegate hose on mine, adjusted it till it was at the 12-14psi point I wanted and locked it down, but I have stock 8:1 forged pistons so I know they can take some abuse...
They're super nice to have, both the controller AND forged pistons lol.

OP.. swap in a 2.3 out of the 2019+ rangers into your truck if you really don't want to run premium fuel lol.

I'm still amazed at the new motors. 10:1 static compression ratio that gets fed 18psi of boost on 87 octane.. crazy. My last turbo vehicle was a subaru.. only 8.2:1 static compression ratio and a measly 12psi stock... but if it didn't get a minimum of 91 octane it would feed the oil pump the tops of your pistons relatively quickly.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On my first go around I had things pretty screwed up and jumped in before I should have but I learned a lot... turns out the fuel pump on wire from the fuel pump relay that goes to the ECM goes to the same pin as the octane switch on a turbo ECM which I didn't know so it was always in high spark... pinged like HECK at 16psi... fixed after about a year of running, rebuilt the engine a year or so later and ported the head which lost 2psi (actually digesting the air...) and the pistons looked great...

Over the years I've heard of people saying you can push about 5psi on a stock engine without doing anything fancy so I wouldn't be too worried... just keep ears open...

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
They're super nice to have, both the controller AND forged pistons lol.

OP.. swap in a 2.3 out of the 2019+ rangers into your truck if you really don't want to run premium fuel lol.

I'm still amazed at the new motors. 10:1 static compression ratio that gets fed 18psi of boost on 87 octane.. crazy. My last turbo vehicle was a subaru.. only 8.2:1 static compression ratio and a measly 12psi stock... but if it didn't get a minimum of 91 octane it would feed the oil pump the tops of your pistons relatively quickly.
I'm not just gonna swap a different engine in, that defeats the point of the project. I do plan to buy both a boost controller and forged pistons.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
On my first go around I had things pretty screwed up and jumped in before I should have but I learned a lot... turns out the fuel pump on wire from the fuel pump relay that goes to the ECM goes to the same pin as the octane switch on a turbo ECM which I didn't know so it was always in high spark... pinged like HECK at 16psi... fixed after about a year of running, rebuilt the engine a year or so later and ported the head which lost 2psi (actually digesting the air...) and the pistons looked great...

Over the years I've heard of people saying you can push about 5psi on a stock engine without doing anything fancy so I wouldn't be too worried... just keep ears open...
i have heard that on MAF systems you can run 4-5 psi boost with upgraded injectors and stock everything else.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual

Also i meant to ask this, but what exactly is VAM, i haven't heard of that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals