• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 to 2002

JC23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've looked and looked but I can't find a definitive answer. Here's what I have, 1993 ranger 2.3 auto 84k motor and tranny are perfect, 2002 Ranger XLT 2.5. 150k I'm told the 2002 needs a intake valve.. the guy I bought it from started taking the motor apart and gave up, picked it up for $200. The body, frame, transmission and everything else is in excellent condition.

The 93 has a completely rusted out driver side, frame is actually in good shape except for the rear frame where the bumper attached.

My question is: should can I swap motors 93 to the 2002 or should I swap the body from the 02 to the 93?

My buddy and I are going to start working on this later today, he has worked on motors and wants to see if the 02 pistons,internals are good. If so I'm assuming we can rebuild the top end. If that is not the case.. motor swap or body swap?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would do the body swap, and be careful with paper work.

In many places your vehicle's identity as far as year and model are tied to the chassis, not the body (ironic since the body is the only place with a VIN) and it is perfectly legal (if you do all the right paper work) to swap a newer body onto an older frame, but very much illegal to put an older engine in a newer vehicle.

As far as PA goes you would end up needed to make this the 02 body and the 93 VIN to use the 93 engine.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The swap of an 02 engine into an earlier model is legal, in states such as CA, IF you meet the emissions standards of the year of the ENGINE. At least that's how it was 20 years ago. People wanted to put Chev 350's into 55-57's and CARB said, gotta meet the 350 model year emissions standards. At least that's how I remember it.
Were it me, I'd try to repair the valve problems in the 02. I believe it has higher torque and hp, and still does as well or better on fuel usage.
As far as the 93 drivetrain, engine, transmission, etc, I'd look for a similar vintage that had a bad engine/transmission, and swap into that. I guess I'm lazy... Dropping the 93 into the 02 would entail doing a complete underhood wiring swap, swapping the computer, the fuel connections ( one may have a 'returnless' while the other may cycle the fuel), the harness, and transmission. I do NOT know if the bellhousing/clutch will swap or need fabrication. Will the floorboard need modification for the shift linkage?
Either way, what do you end up with after hours of modification and 'making stuff up from scratch'? Any future buyer if/when you get tired of it will be very wary. Same deal as 'custom' cars, where a lot of work goes in, piles of dollar bills, and the end result does not appeal to buyers as much as a stock vehicle in the same condition. The work time is invested in something that others may or may not desire. Different taste, I guess.

tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals