• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 supercab Drivers Door Falling Apart from the inside out

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't have any jacks tall enough but stacked some fire brick under it and used some wood shims to hold it up tight and still can't get it to align with that door latch, no matter what it still has to be shut briskly (although not quite as much as before) with an upward lift for it to latch, and the top is still not as high as it should be after closing. I did nothing to the inside hinges, and the door side hinges have no adjustment (unless it would be to add a washer on the door pin under the door side hinge to ride it up a bit). ATM I'm not certain which way to tweak it onward so I'll think it over for a while ;)

Also I wonder about that wheel on the bottom hinge that locks it in at certain points, is there anything to help that such as grease or anything?
I spray them and the hinge pins where the hinge comes together with white lithium grease.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lining that up was not an easy task. I could not see around there to mark or re-align it so simply replaced the hinge pins and started back on with it. I pushed the bottom up and forward and tightened it good and then pushed the top part up and forward and tightened it and then shut the door.

Clunk! It didn't shut. I adjusted it again, Clunk!, and again and again :/
Not sure how long that went on, and then? Then it began to rain :D

That door leaked so much I needed an umbrella to sit in the drivers seat.
A couple good magnets adhered to a square of roofing rubber held the rain at bay until it stopped and I got back to fiddling with it.

This time I used a bit different approach. All 4 hinge bolts loose I pushed the bottom forward just as before but this time only tightening the very bottom bolt. Then pushed the top forward and tightened the very top bolt, then the two inside bolts.

Then I pushed it shut. Maybe not as smooth as new, but a lot better than it had been for a long while.
Then yesterday it got the rain test, 30 miles in a pouring rain. Not a seep or a drop anywhere :)

I do not wish to leave this go unsaid, thanks to you folks for the help along the way.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And... of course, the next one :) The passenger side doesn't seem to be loose around the hinges but has become increasingly more difficult to close. It latches when pushed to, but it might bounce half latched or stay visibly shut but first bump it's half unlatched?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals