• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 STX 4x4 Restoration | Project Peggy

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
For labor day weekend in September, i drove the truck from LA to Joshua tree for the weekend. The trip took 4 hours to get there (traffic) and 2.5 hours back. Temperatures were well above 100 degrees outside and even though the engine was doing fine, once we arrived coolant was spilling out from the reservoir. I may have over filled it. Nonetheless the truck did great, but was very slow going up hill. AC wasn't working during this trip so my fiance was pretty angry throughout haha, oh well. I took the following photos while out there.

Driving on the rocky roads broke the rear left speaker since the adhesion of the drum (don't know the real name) was too old to hold it together while jumping up and down. The trip ended with no working sound. Boo.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
For labor day weekend in September, i drove the truck from LA to Joshua tree for the weekend. The trip took 4 hours to get there (traffic) and 2.5 hours back. Temperatures were well above 100 degrees outside and even though the engine was doing fine, once we arrived coolant was spilling out from the reservoir. I may have over filled it. Nonetheless the truck did great, but was very slow going up hill. AC wasn't working during this trip so my fiance was pretty angry throughout haha, oh well. I took the following photos while out there.
View attachment 36538View attachment 36539View attachment 36540View attachment 36541

Driving on the rocky roads broke the rear left speaker since the adhesion of the drum (don't know the real name) was too old to hold it together while jumping up and down. The trip ended with no working sound. Boo.
No tunes and a disgruntled fiancée. What a trip.

Nice truck!

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I forgot to mention that before labor day weekend the truck turned off unexpectedly twice, so to avoid breaking down in the middle of nowhere i replaced the crankshaft sensor. Super easy, but one of the bolts was a bit awkward to loosen.
MotorcraftDY908Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor

A few more fixes immediately took place after Joshua Tree,. The AC (reserved for a later post), rear bumper, and cabin speakers. The rear bumper was sagging from an old accident, so i unbent the bracket and reinforced it, while giving everything a new paint job. The cabin speakers were completely replaced with Pioneer 350W and they sounded great afterward.
PioneerTS-A6880F350W Speakers

A month later in October i got the windows tinted because it's absolutely necessary in So Cal (50% in front, 30% rear) and I purchased new Warn locking hubs. More off-roading is definitely needed.
Warn37780Manual Locking Hubs

Last edited:

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
No tunes and a disgruntled fiancée. What a trip.

Nice truck!
Hahaha she hasn't let me forget it yet, and probably won't for years. Thanks though!

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Not much work took place on the Ranger in the end part of 2019. Birthdays, holidays and other personal projects are to blame.
On a recent trip to the junkyard, I got a couple of hub caps, a class 3 tow hitch (restoration and installation saved for later), a 4-wire trailer harness, and 1995 owners manual because why not.
Draw-Tite75053Class III Tow Hitch + 2 Spare Hubs

I've also scored the missing boots for the rally bar off eBay, which are very hard to find, especially being NOS.
FordE9TZ 15233 ARally Bar Light Boots

Currently there are a few projects for the ranger underway, and i'm looking to finally replace the headliner, maybe replace the visors, fix the ABS light (finally), recharge the AC, and get an interior detailing because it needs it.

More restoration to come.

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright, I'm gonna need you to send that rear tube bumper my way haha. Honestly, delete the RABS valve & pull the fuse. It was a janky setup at best. First sign of trouble with the RABS on my trucks and it gets tossed. Never had an issue braking after that. Those rally bar light boots are neat. The E9 prefix means they'd be correct for my STX also. Speaking of which, I hope you're going to put the STX stripes on the truck!

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Alright, I'm gonna need you to send that rear tube bumper my way haha. Honestly, delete the RABS valve & pull the fuse. It was a janky setup at best. First sign of trouble with the RABS on my trucks and it gets tossed. Never had an issue braking after that. Those rally bar light boots are neat. The E9 prefix means they'd be correct for my STX also. Speaking of which, I hope you're going to put the STX stripes on the truck!
Haha if I find another tubular version I like you're more than welcome to take this one. Haha tubular dude (CA joke). Yeah I know and I've read enough on the forums to see that's what everyone ends up doing, but i have some naive hope i can fix it. I'll give it 2 more trys and then I'll delete it. Yours didnt originally come with the boots? Actually did you have lights? I didn't see them.. Man I've been looking for my STX stripes for a while now and I've found some for other years but oddly enough the 93/94 design are no where to be found, neither NOS nor reproduction. I will eventually get a paint job, but adding the stripes is TBD.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I said this before but... you have yourself a pretty nice truck!

The history and the fact you have documented everything along the way make it even better...

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I said thins before but... you have yourself a pretty nice truck!

The history and the fact you have documented everything along the way make it even better...
Thanks for the kind words!!

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sometime before I took ownership of the truck the lights on the rally bar were taken off and the front brush guard was removed due to rust. I'm lucky it still had the rally bar itself and its not rotted lol.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Sometime before I took ownership of the truck the lights on the rally bar were taken off and the front brush guard was removed due to rust. I'm lucky it still had the rally bar itself and its not rotted lol.
Do you intend to replace them with originals or something completely aftermarket?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
AC is finally fixed! Man, what a mess. The slider on the controls didn't work as no air blew through the cabin, so that was due to missing vacuum connections in the engine bay. Fixed ✅. The AC compresser wouldn't turn on, even with refrigerant in the lines, so the low pressure switch was shot and the wires at the connector had broken. Replaced and fixed ✅. AC compresser still didn't cycle and it turns out a rat had chewed the power wire all the way back to the fire wall grommet. New wire was soldered in and rerouted through the fender. Fixed ✅. The blower motor knob was worn so I replaced that. ✅. Lastly, R134a refrigerant was added using a R134a to R12 adapter hose. Air blew cold so ✅ and good thing since it's getting hot here in LA again. My fiance sure is happy now. ✅✅.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Installed the tow hitch I got from the junkyard. Forgot to take an after pic of it painted before I installed it. Oh well. Had to flip the bumper upside down to make it fit. Repaired the trailer harness too. To finish it off, I got a Ford hitch plug from Ebay and a 3 ball from HF.

Draw-tite Tow Hitch #75053
Ford Ranger 2" Trailer Tow Hitch Receiver Hole Cover #1L2Z-17F000-CA

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does the tailgate contact the bumper? It looks like it might in the pics.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals