• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 ranger splash dana 35 upgrade

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, so my truck could use a front end rebuild. I've got my parents in on funding the project so that's great. The plan is to go to a junkyard and get an dana 35 front end from an ranger or explorer and swap it into my truck. What exactly do I need to get? Ive read the tech article on this swap and it seems pretty straight forward. My plan: Get the dana 35 pumkin, drive shaft going to trans case, coils. How do I remove all of this when I get to the junkyard? I know I also need to get 3.73 gears to match my 7.5. What else should I get/buy for a front end rebuild? Thanks this will be happening this weekend btw :headbang:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
it says your Ranger is 4x4 under your name... if so, you already have a Dana 35, and if that's the case, what are you asking? If it's a 4x2 truck, it takes more work than just grabbing an axle and transfer case and such, the engine crossmember is different... If you are talking about converting from a D28/35 hybrid to a true D35, then all you need is the pumpkin and both axle shafts that go into the pumpkin (passenger side outer shaft is the same on the hybrids).

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
If he has a 3.slow, wouldnt he have a D28/7.5" combo? i ran the axle code on my truck and thats a combo i have. I also have 3.73s and am looking into a d35/8.8 swap.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
all '90 (mid year sometime) and newer RBV's have a Dana 35, some of the 2.3L and 3.0L '93-96ish Rangers came with the hybrid thing with D28 ring, pinion and carrier but if you change the pumpkin and the shafts that go into it that's all it takes to make it a real D35, count the bolts on the front diff from the front, 10 is D35 (or hybrid), 12 is D28, I don't remember what to look for through the diff fill hole to tell the difference between a real D35 and the hybrid...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think you can see the ring gear on the hybrid, but not on the full-size.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I checked my diff again to make sure and it's a smooth cover... I'll upload a picture to confirm this later this afternoon. I've found about 5 salvage yards within 30 miles of me so I will be going to all of these this weekend. I plan on overhauling and lifting the front end in the process. The overhaul will consist of bushings,diff fluid, paint, frame paint/rust repair, tie rods, replace lube nipples, shocks, lift coils or coil spacers. Anything else I should do while I'm under there?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals