• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 Ranger 3.0 - Really Low Power and Now No Start

Nathan_93XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a 93 Ranger, 3.0. I know that they are well known for their power and low end torque :icon_rofl:.

But here is an issue I never suspected of having: The truck will barely move when you press the gas till after it has warmed up for a minute or two. I don't even hear the engine RPM increasing.

I noticed this yesterday after work, as that was the first time I have actually driven it anywhere since I got the pump seal replaced. Started it up and backed out of the parking spot, put it in gear, and it just barely inched along. I'd guess no faster than 5 mph. The engine itself didn't rev or anything even as I put the peddle to the floor. At first I thought maybe it wasn't in gear, but I put it in park and back into drive and it did the same thing. It runs rough for the first few minutes after it starts, so I let it sit for a bit and warm up. After a few minutes, the RPMs sounded normal and I drove off, no problems.

I know I have multiple issues. I broke the shift cable putting the tranny back in. By broke it, I mean the plastic sleeve that the cable runs in, right on the end that connects to the transmission. It goes into gear fine, so I assumed it was ok. I'll replace that part eventually. I can't imagine this is an issue in this case, but I am laying out all that I know.

There is an exhaust leak. A high tapping sound as I drive. I am going to try to pinpoint that today and get it fixed.

The transmission is kinda in an unknown state. When I replaced the pump seal, it looked really good and clean, what I could see. There were a few really tiny metal shavings in the drain pan, but I've seen more in other vehicles which were just fine, so I was concerned. I didn't go into the transmission, just enough to replace that seal, because I knew that was bad. So far the seal is holding fine, no leaks. The tranny (this is from the previous owner) is from another truck, with an unknown number of miles. Perhaps something is messed up in there and that is keeping the engine RPMs down? I know that the TC and flywheel was smooth rolling when I hooked it all up, so its not jammed.

I am brand new to this truck and out of ideas. My only guess is maybe a vacuum leak or exhaust leak. Possibly the MAF, I'm going to clean that today. Maybe the throttle body is super dirty?

I am not getting any CELs. But I also have not had a chance to verify the light is even hooked up, I'll do that today.

Any tips and ideas would be appreciated!

P.S. I changed all the fluids, nothing looked bad. New spark plug wires. Plugs looked good. Distributor is fine. Belts squeaks, but I can't imagine that would be connected.

Nathan_93XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Truck Update:

Well it shut off the other day while I was driving. Here's the story:

Driving home, engine was warmed up and it was driving like normal. I went over a small bump (enough to shake the truck but not too bad). Immediately afterwards, the truck shut off, engine died and the power went out to the whole truck. I pulled off the side of the road and tried to start it, and it wouldn't do anything. No crank, nothing. After a minute or so, I tried starting again, and this time it cranked, radio came on, etc. But it wouldn't start. I checked the distributor first things, cause I read that the gear can break and then the pump wont run, etc. The distributor rotor still spins, so I am guessing that the gear is still fine.

I honestly can't find a single thing that is any different from before. I ordered a OBD 1 scan tool, which should be here tomorrow. I am going to crank it a few times then pull plugs to make sure I am still getting fuel, and I'll double check that its giving spark to the distributor. By the way, no check engine light, I'm guessing because the bulb is burned out. I couldn't get it to come one when I jumped the plug on the harness, i heard the truck go into test mode, but the CEL never came on.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals