• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 Mustang Harness into 1992 Ranger Harness Help

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I've finally reached the point where the long block is assembled (for the most part) and now I'm swapping the A9L mustang computer with the matching harness into the ranger. Ive dug around for a while trying to figure out what is necessary to splice. I've found (By Bob) that connector 39 (8 pin Green Connector) near the computer and connector 31 (Brown 8 Pin Connector) near the master cylinder needs to be adapted. I've had good luck with the 31, as I believe I've spliced it correctly, but I'm finding 39 to be difficult. The ranger corresponding connector is different as there is a 4 pin connector and another 2 pin. I believe the fuel pump inertia switch and the speed sensor +- are in these wires. Need help with the locations of the wires to splice.

After those 2 connectors, i have no idea what (if anything) needs to be moved over. I'm attaching all the pictures I've been using as a guide. The Edis module on the ranger is my biggest concern because the mustang harness doesn't have it. Not sure if alot of the connectors I pulled just wont be used again since im replacing the computer and harness. A lot of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated. I leave for FT Knox shortly and would like to have the engine at least in the car lol.
Colored Diagram.PNG
Connector Swapped from ranger 2.jpg
Connector Swapped from ranger.jpg
Main Harness.PNG
Ranger EEC.PNG
Ranger Near computer wires.jpg
1993 Mustang Harness EEC.PNG

Last edited:

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The Ranger wires i cut the second to last pictures are colored as, PNK/BLK, (Thick) LGHTBLU/YLW, PNK/O, GRY/BLK, GRN/YLW, PPL.

The adapted black 4 pin connector has a Thick GRY/YLW, PPL, GRY/BLK, PNK/O.

The adapted 2 pin connector has the Mustang (2) DRKGRN/YLW spliced into the Ranger GRN/YLW and the Mustang (2) PNK/GRN into Ranger PNK/BLK.

The only wire not used is the WH/RD, so i left it out. I may have these properly connected but i would rather not risk it. I also have the ground connector attached.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have no idea if this will be helpful but you might find something in this mess. I used a 1989 Grand Marquis harness to get the A9L in my 1992 4.0 Ranger so most of the color coding should be close to the Mustang harness. The index cards were to remind me where various connectors were after I spliced the Marquis harness into the Ranger. Some of the notes were just checks for me to do. I highly recommend you buy the Harwood Ford Ranger EFI V8 conversion manual. It's very helpful.

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have no idea if this will be helpful but you might find something in this mess. I used a 1989 Grand Marquis harness to get the A9L in my 1992 4.0 Ranger so most of the color coding should be close to the Mustang harness. The index cards were to remind me where various connectors were after I spliced the Marquis harness into the Ranger. Some of the notes were just checks for me to do. I highly recommend you buy the Harwood Ford Ranger EFI V8 conversion manual. It's very helpful.View attachment 61739View attachment 61740View attachment 61741
Thank you for the information! Anything helps, will definitely look to buy that guide. Is there a certain place you recommend getting it?

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Another detail i failed to mention is im using a ZF5 Transmission. Finding out the fitment is tough, any suggestions about a shifter.
EAC8F3E5-1C5C-412A-901A-460361B857DA.jpeg

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What engine mounts did you use and how much clearance at the front of the radiator fan? I thought the ZF5 shifter would sit further back. I have the M5ODR2 from a 5.0 F150 and my shifter is as far forward as it can be without hitting the dash and my trans mount is in the original location. Can you send some photos of the engine position?

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What engine mounts did you use and how much clearance at the front of the radiator fan? I thought the ZF5 shifter would sit further back. I have the M5ODR2 from a 5.0 F150 and my shifter is as far forward as it can be without hitting the dash and my trans mount is in the original location. Can you send some photos of the engine position?View attachment 61827
Im using the recommended convertible mustang mounts, switched left and right. Not sure if the ZF5 has a different location than the M50, but from block to shifter is 15 inches. Not much clearance for the radiator at all

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What engine mounts did you use and how much clearance at the front of the radiator fan? I thought the ZF5 shifter would sit further back. I have the M5ODR2 from a 5.0 F150 and my shifter is as far forward as it can be without hitting the dash and my trans mount is in the original location. Can you send some photos of the engine position?View attachment 61827
2DA87FFC-7155-4EE4-956B-EBCBA636B640.jpeg
FE70E612-1CF0-495A-B9EC-262576532327.jpeg
B355C9AB-22A4-4466-A441-83D5FE5DC2A6.jpeg

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have a body lift? I used the flat plate mounts on top of the original V6 mounts and have a 3" BL. I also modified the plate mounts a little bit by drilling a new hole for the mount stud on the driver side. I cut out the core support on the front but not across the top and put a new lower mount for the radiator which moved it forward about 2". I also used the Explorer FEAD which is the shortest so I can use the original fan or electric. The flat plates were about $20 from one of the guys on this forum. The BL was about $100 and made it a lot easier to fit everything. I'm going back to an electric fan as soon as I gather the parts.

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do you have a body lift? I used the flat plate mounts on top of the original V6 mounts and have a 3" BL. I also modified the plate mounts a little bit by drilling a new hole for the mount stud on the driver side. I cut out the core support on the front but not across the top and put a new lower mount for the radiator which moved it forward about 2". I also used the Explorer FEAD which is the shortest so I can use the original fan or electric. The flat plates were about $20 from one of the guys on this forum. The BL was about $100 and made it a lot easier to fit everything. I'm going back to an electric fan as soon as I gather the parts.

View attachment 61881

View attachment 61877View attachment 61880
Having alot of problems with the reverse convertable mounts. Seeing how you're engine sits, ill definitely be getting the flat mounts. Currently i dont think i could even get the radiator on so something has to change lol. Most likely will put a switch on push fan for the radiator. What headers did you use, i found a good deal on some long tube hedman headers, which was not suggested but i want to make work. Thanks again for all the info!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Your mounts are plotted too far forward.

I usually slot the hole where the nut can barely fit in the bottom on the backside of the k member and with no body lift have to beat the hell out if the top face of the tunnel and flatten or remove the pinch seam. Even then. With a zf you have to reform the shifter.

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your mounts are plotted too far forward.

I usually slot the hole where the nut can barely fit in the bottom on the backside of the k member and with no body lift have to beat the hell out if the top face of the tunnel and flatten or remove the pinch seam. Even then. With a zf you have to reform the shifter.
Bought the adapter plates with the 5.0 mounts. The convertible mustang mounts dont seem to work too well. The firewall is pretty well gone so just gotta worry about the dash and the shifter. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals