• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 ford ranger 4x4 has a weird problem where it doesn’t like to start back up when it’s warm

Bachinski721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
First post so I apologize if it’s badly formatted but I have a 1993 ford ranger 4x4 single cab with the 5 speed manual with 295 000 km and it has a issue where it doesn’t like to start back up when it reaches operating temperature. It’ll crank over fine but won’t start up the only way I can get it to start back up after it’s warm is if I put my foot to the floor when cranking And during any start up warm or cold it has a high slightly rough idle I’ve narrowed it down to something related to air as it gets fuel and spark no problem looking for any suggestions

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
How did you verify fuel and spark?
Foot to the floor when cranking should turn off the injectors. Sounds to me like you have an abundance of fuel. Leaky injector(s) maybe?

Bachinski721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just bought it a month ago did new spark plugs new wires new distributor and coil, so that’s why I’m assuming it’s not spark as it’s all new parts and as for fuel recently replaced the fuel filter and checked all the lines for leaks never popped out my injectors to check for leaks just stethoscopes them to make sure that they work

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a TFI spark system, one of the main complaints about this system is .....................engine won't start when warm

Diagnostics here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

But you may want to just get a new TFI module

While driving the engine bay stays cooler from the fan and general air movement in the engine bay
When you shut off the engine, everything in the engine bay gets HOT, and hot air rises so anything higher up gets the hottest
Which is distributor and TFI module

For sure try the Clear Flooded Engine test, gas pedal to the floor test

But I think TFI module test would be best bet
Do that test after engine is warmed up and you have a NO START, the 50/50 test
Spray fuel into the engine and try to start it
If it Starts and then dies FUEL is the issue
If it doesn't start then SPARK is the issue, TFI
50/50 instant results

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
M
First post so I apologize if it’s badly formatted but I have a 1993 ford ranger 4x4 single cab with the 5 speed manual with 295 000 km and it has a issue where it doesn’t like to start back up when it reaches operating temperature. It’ll crank over fine but won’t start up the only way I can get it to start back up after it’s warm is if I put my foot to the floor when cranking And during any start up warm or cold it has a high slightly rough idle I’ve narrowed it down to something related to air as it gets fuel and spark no problem looking for any suggestions
Idle issues are somewhat common and can be tricky to diagnose. I suggest start with the cheapest and easiest, try unplugging the IAC while its running and see what happens. And maybe clean the MAF and throttle w/ proper sprays/methods.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals