• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 2.3 with a 2.5 head

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
I looked in the tech. library but still am not clear on somting. If I pull a head off a 1999 2.5 will it bolt up and run on my 1993 2.3 motor? :icon_confused: All I want to do is get gaskets and go. Also will I need to use the exhaust man. off the 2.5 or can I use the 2.3's. Thanks

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the 2.5 is a stroker 2.3. the pistons/rods/crank are dif but its in a small main crank 2.3 block. the head if im not mistaken will bolt up no problems. the exhaust and intakes will swap out as well. the 94 or 95 (cant remember which) had a log exhaust manifold that increased exhaust flow about 15% if you want to use a dif exhaust mani. otherwise they are the same from 2.3 to 2.5.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I belive '93 and '94 had the header, but it's just a tube version of the cast manifold, the only difference between the header and manifold is like 30 pounds of metal, flow is the same. 2.3 and 2.5 have the same exhaust bolt pattern

the intake manifold is probably different, but the positive thing is you should be able to grab the intake off of the 2.5 and bolt your throttle body onto it along with any sensors, but you might need to mount the ignition module somewhere else...

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The 93 intake will bolt to the 2.5 head ok but I think your 2.3 had a water port in the middle of the intake to help with cold starts.The throttle brackets are a little different and take some fabrication.The biggest thing is that your coil brackets and altenator bracket doesn't have the right bolt holes and things have to get changed.(been there,done that)Why not just get a 90-94 head?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
I am getting a 99 parts truck and I am looking to bone everything that I may or may not need. Keep what will work and try and sell the rest to cover buying it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals