• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger - Parking Brake Cable Grommet?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, all.

Coming down to the last of a long list of repairs to my 1992 Ranger Custom. The parking brake cable was shot when I got the truck. Ordered a new one from Dorman and have fed it through the firewall, seen here for reference:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/108xOzQRmN_NUymVL0ZiiVdGajWVHpA6Y/view?usp=sharing

The problem comes in threading it through the actual parking brake pedal bracket assembly. Initially, I had the cable routed behind the shoulder toward the back of the bracket, but that didn’t seem right. So I instead threaded it through the hole in the bracket, seen here in close-up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wAXnB5_LjRowo4OkKHNsBiF74ZmKD-aA/view?usp=sharing

The obvious problem is that when the parking brake pedal is applied, the cable contacts the sides of the hole and the protective insulation on the cable gets scraped off (you can see some damage from this in the above photo, from my initial attempt at depressing the pedal). I’m thinking that there should be some kind of grommet protecting the cable where it passes through the hole. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything like that online and the dealership has advised me that they don’t have any listings in their system before model year 2000.

Can anyone please tell me the following?

1. Does it look as though I’ve routed the cable correctly?
2. Should there be a grommet in the hole mentioned?
3. If the answer to #2 is “yes,” does anyone know where I can find one?
Junkyards aren’t an option (unfortunately) as none exist in my area, due to
local ordinances. :dunno:

Thanks so much for any help at all! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
you could fab one. How big is that hole? Maybe a tiny pvc pipe or the tube if a marker/BIC pen cut to about 1/2 inch long and shove it in the hole then thread the cable through that, so when it slides it is plastic on plastic not plastic on metal. Might have to use some JB weld to keep the "grommet" in place. A Rubber hose might also work.

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you could fab one. Maybe a tiny pvc pipe or the tube if a BIC pen cut to about 1/2 inch long and shove it in the hole then thread the cable through that, so when it slides it is plastic on plastic not plastic on metal.
Thanks for the reply, but that wouldn’t work. The end of the cable has an octagonal steel “plug” on the end of it that wouldn’t fit through a pen or small piece of PVC. Also, the hole is approximately 3/4” in diameter, so it would slip right through. I thought about trying something similar with a piece of rubber fuel line, but I don’t have any that fits correctly. Plus, I figure that it would wear right through.

Anyone else? Maybe someone that has a similar truck could take a quick peek at theirs and tell me if it actually has a grommet in this area or not?

Thanks.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The end of the outer sheathing is supposed attach to the pedal assembly in that hole.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, snoranger.

Yeah, I realized after I last updated this thread that the original cable would had a wound metal sheath that covered the cable where it passes through the firewall and parking brake assembly. Unfortunately, I can’t reuse the sheath on the new cable, due to the octagonal ends that are put on the cables. So the cable I bought is now useless and I have to try to find an OEM one somewhere that has the metal sheath on it. :-(

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would take a piece of 3/4" diameter water hose, and slit it lengthwise. You could then slide it over the cable and through the 3/4" hole with about 3" on each side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals