• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ford Ranger 2.9l Crank but no Start

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1992 Ford Ranger 2.9l and the other day I was driving it and all of a sudden it died. I pulled over and tried to restart it but it didn't start it cranked but didn't start i had no fuel pressure. I towed it home and did various tests and i had no spark or fuel pressure it has a new fuel pump and I replaced the fuel pump relay and the distributer and ignition control module. It still cranks but no start with no spark or fuel.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do the 50/50 test:
Spray fuel into maf and see if the engine tries to start. If it tries to start then you know it's a fuel problem. If it doesnt then it's an electrical problem.

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do the 50/50 test:
Spray fuel into maf and see if the engine tries to start. If it tries to start then you know it's a fuel problem. If it doesnt then it's an electrical problem.
What do you mean by tries to start, it has no spark so it wont be able to much more then crank

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you've already isolated spark as the problem ignore my post.
But you indicated you had no spark AND no fuel. It is unlikely both would quit. So the 50/50 test....

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay so there is no difference between cranking it and cranking it when i spray fuel into the maf

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So that eliminates fuel as the problem.
It's been a long time since I worked on my 1986 2.9. Mine had a distributor. Does yours? Pop the cap off and see if the shaft turns.
I'm not so good with the electrical side of things so hopefully someone else chimes in...

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes mine has a distributer, the shaft does turn, my guess was that it was out of time, how would I check that

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
beckers,

If you are certain that you have no spark there are a few posibilties. The spark is generated by the coil upon triggering from the computer;

Power to coil
Coil
Coil to distributor wire
Distributor
Rotor
Plug wires

A tricky coil failure can simply be a failed balast resistor on the coil. Fortunatly they are a $4 part and it is to your advantage to keep on on hand.

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Its a brand new distributer and Coil the wires have about 3000 miles on them, I cant find a ballast resistor for my truck

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Find number one spark plug. Iirc its passenger side front. follow the wire to distributor cap. Rotor should point at #1 when piston is at top dead center. On the crank pulley are mark's. Line up the Mark's with the pointer on the block. The crank rotates twice for one sparkplug firing. To make sure you're on the right timing Mark, pull #1 sparkplug and rotate engine until you feel air push your finger off the sparkplug hole. That will get you real close to top dead center and you can then rotate engine to correct spot.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The fuel system and the ignition system are completely separate systems, with the exception of the ECM, which essentially controls both. If it was just a fuel pressure issue I would say bypass the fuel pump relay to see if the system pressurizes, and check the inertia switch. If it was just a sudden lack of spark I would first check the ignition module, then the coil, then lastly the pickup coil inside the distributer. But if both systems were affected at once, I would have to suspect the ECM.
Try bypassing the fuel pump relay to see if you get fuel pressure. The pump should run constantly with it bypassed. If you still have no pressure, check the inertia switch behind the glove compartment at the fire wall just behind the carpet. There's a button on top to reset it, but it would be best to check for voltage on both wires when the relay is bypassed, or unplug the switch and you should have continuity between both terminals. If all this checks out, and you don't hear the fuel pump engage for a couple seconds when the ignition is turned on, I would again suspect the ECU. Having fuel pressure with the bypass would indicate that the relay is good, the fuel system is good, but the ECM is at fault. Let us know how the bypass goes.
Fuel pump relay bypass.jpg

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bypass worked, everything in the ignition system is brand new except the wires the connect everthing together so my assumtion was the ECU im going to get one from the junk yard tomorrow and try that out. THank you for the help.

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I went and got a new ecm and it started right up, just needed to be timed

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool. Glad it was a relatively easy fix.

Oscara18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
285/40/zr17
The fuel system and the ignition system are completely separate systems, with the exception of the ECM, which essentially controls both. If it was just a fuel pressure issue I would say bypass the fuel pump relay to see if the system pressurizes, and check the inertia switch. If it was just a sudden lack of spark I would first check the ignition module, then the coil, then lastly the pickup coil inside the distributer. But if both systems were affected at once, I would have to suspect the ECM.
Try bypassing the fuel pump relay to see if you get fuel pressure. The pump should run constantly with it bypassed. If you still have no pressure, check the inertia switch behind the glove compartment at the fire wall just behind the carpet. There's a button on top to reset it, but it would be best to check for voltage on both wires when the relay is bypassed, or unplug the switch and you should have continuity between both terminals. If all this checks out, and you don't hear the fuel pump engage for a couple seconds when the ignition is turned on, I would again suspect the ECU. Having fuel pressure with the bypass would indicate that the relay is good, the fuel system is good, but the ECM is at fault. Let us know how the bypass goes.
View attachment 58765
This may be a dumb question but I'm having the same problem, when bypassing relay, I take the relay off and that's a picture of the plug itself that goes into the relay under the hood passenger side correct?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals