• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ford Ranger 2.9l Crank but no Start

beckers0347

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This may be a dumb question but I'm having the same problem, when bypassing relay, I take the relay off and that's a picture of the plug itself that goes into the relay under the hood passenger side correct?
I don't know exactly what your asking but as for the location it's under the fuse box on the passenger side it's a green plug with a black or black/green really plugged into it, Ill add a picture of the connector. And if you having the same problem with bypassing the relay it's most likely the inertia switch or a wiring issue because bypassing the relay just completes a circuit and turns on the fuel pump.

Attachments

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, that is a picture of the test connectors that should be in the immediate area of the fuel pump relay and ECM relay (passenger side firewall). They may also be down low in front of the blower motor. They look like this
Test connectors.jpg

Oscara18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
285/40/zr17
I don't know exactly what your asking but as for the location it's under the fuse box on the passenger side it's a green plug with a black or black/green really plugged into it, Ill add a picture of the connector. And if you having the same problem with bypassing the relay it's most likely the inertia switch or a wiring issue because bypassing the relay just completes a circuit and turns on the fuel pump.
The inertia switch would cause me to lose fuel pump and spark to ignition coil? I've changed TFI/ ignition coil/spark plugs and wires/ fuel pump relay. With key in fuel pump does not turn on but also no spark. Found inertia switch but it's not the original, it's some aftermarket one that's not re-settable

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would check continuity through the inertia switch or temporarily bypass it with a jumper wire and see if your fuel pump runs. It's only purpose is to cut power to the fuel pump in the event of a roll over, it does not cut power to the ignition coil.

No fuel/no spark sounds to me like you have a grounding issue somewhere. I would check the ground wires that are normally connected to the negative battery terminal - usually there is one wire that goes to a round connector and from there splits into two wires. That grounds both your ECM and fuel pumps... I would also check the ECM ground right next to the computer under the passenger side kick panel.

Oscara18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
285/40/zr17
I would check continuity through the inertia switch or temporarily bypass it with a jumper wire and see if your fuel pump runs. It's only purpose is to cut power to the fuel pump in the event of a roll over, it does not cut power to the ignition coil.

No fuel/no spark sounds to me like you have a grounding issue somewhere. I would check the ground wires that are normally connected to the negative battery terminal - usually there is one wire that goes to a round connector and from there splits into two wires. That grounds both your ECM and fuel pumps... I would also check the ECM ground right next to the computer under the passenger side kick panel.
Will do, thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals