• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 explorer a4ld into 87 b2

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Finished my daily driver finally so time to build my 87 that's sitting on jack stands. The A4ld is toast so I've been looking for donors before deciding exactly what I'm going to do with motor/transmission swap. Got my hands on a 1992 explorer automatic 4x4 for super cheap. The 4.0 runs kinda shitty so i might pull it for a rebuild and do the 4.0 swap but I was wondering if I could go another route and just run my 2.9 to the ground then swap a ho 5.0 in the future. Would the a4ld in the explorer bolt up to my 2.9 no problem? The explorer is shift on the fly, is there wiring I can do to make it work for my 2.9? I would swap the 4.0 but id rather just use the tranny on my 2.9 for now and just focus on swapping the d35 and 8.8 and finish a little body work while i look for a 5.0 to build and c4 trans to go with it. I got the explorer mostly for the axles and just a parts truck. id rather swap a 5.0 and just use the transmission untill then if possible.

the black/silver 88 is my daily finally done runs great.

Attachments

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
kcm,

I usually won't speak a word unless I know that I'm helping but...

The 92 Explorer's tranny will bolt onto your 2.9L. The axle output has a different flange; you will need to:
A, change the out out flange
B, change the front flange on you BII drive shaft
C, cut the Explorer's drive shaft to fit (but then the rear of the Explorer's drive shaft will have the wrong flange for your 7.5" axle.

You need to decide how you want to handle that, I incorporated the larger flange to my transfer case output and cut the Explorer's drive shaft to fit with an 8.8" axle.

From what I read from your post, swapping the output flange will probably be simplest but if you are adding the 8.8", then the prudent move is to install the 8.8" first, then have the Explorer's drive line cut to fit the new transmission-axle gap.

Then there is the issue of Overdrive, see RonD's explanation below ..)

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They BOTH need to be 4x4s
Yes the 2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l share the same block, so same transmission bolt patterns

Both A4LDs will be the same length, and you use the transfer case from the 1987, so no driveline changes
1987 will be a BW1350, 1992 BW1354, same bolt pattern and shaft to transmission

1987 computer will probably use a 2 wire plug at the A4LD
1992 A4LD needs a 3 wire plug in, 3rd wire is to activate OverDrive(OD)
Seen here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/media/a4ld-specification-chart-from-transgo.39537/full

There is a 12volt key on wire(red) thats shared by the 2 solenoids inside the 1992 A4LD
You will need to spice the 1987 red wire to center pin
And splice the 1987 TCC wire to the TCC pin on the 1992
Then run a wire into the cab to a switch thats grounded to cab metal, so you can manually turn on OD when you want

Off Roaders often added this switch so they could turn on OD manually in any other gear to get "split gear" ratios, in 2WD, 4hi or 4low
Ford did this on the 5R55E as well, the computer would turn on OD in 1st gear to get a smoother shift to 2nd

If you have manual locking hubs and they are locked then ALL transfer cases are "shift on the fly"
"Shift on the fly" only applied to vehicles with "Auto locking" hubs

When both front wheels/hubs are locked then both front and rear drive shafts are spinning at the same speed, so the gears inside the transfer case are spinning at the same speed, but the front drive is just not connected/locked to the rear/main shaft in 2WD
When you shift to 4high, the gear on the front chain drive is then locked to main shaft, no grinding because both are rotating at the same RPM
Same as shifting a manual transmission without using the clutch by "RPM Matching", no grinding because RPMs of both meshing gears are the same

With auto hubs the front drive shaft is not spinning when they are unlocked
So Ford added an electric clutch in the transfer case, this was for "shift on the fly"
Auto hubs never really worked that great, and most have been changed to manual or should be, lol

i.e. 2001 to 2011 Ranger 4x4s are "shift on the fly" but NO electric clutch........................??
That's because front wheels are always locked, Live Axle, no way to unlock them, well no easy way

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
So my plan is to use both the 8.8 and the dana35 on the bronco so which transfer case would i have to use? Ill have the explorer drive shafts modified as needed so I just need to worry about the wiring with the overdrive then? Im also converting the auto front hubs to manual.

jcscmng

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I did a 4.oL OHV swap into an 84 BII that had a 2.8L. Fit without any problems. Now I have a 89 BII an am trying to swap in a 96 Ranger 4.0L OHV and the oil pan sits on the frame cross member and sits above the motor mounts by about 2 inches. I can't figure out why. I hope you don't run into the same problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals