• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 4.0L OHV White Plug

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys so im in the middle of identifying all my wires on the 4.0L harness, I need to find a wiring diagram for the BIG WHITE PLUG that goes into the dash. All the diagrams i have do NOT show the BIG WHITE PLUG on the diagram. I have cut the big white plug MALE side off from the MAIN ENGINE BAY HARNESS(The one that sits in the engine bay) I need to know what each wire does so i can splice it to my 2.9L harness, if anybody has a chart or knows where i can get a diagram PLEASE HELP ASAP! Im right in the middle of this! THANKS!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy and welcome~

You can try this from the Tech Articles section on the main page...it's under Ignition and charging section...but the link takes you to various links...

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

If you don't find what you need there or other sources, you may need to check the inside plug behind the cluster and trace each wire backwards to where they connect to the pod.

Another member posted a PDF image of a wiring diagram that he'd created showing the wires, connectors, and such but I couldn't find it...it was under the Submit Articles...section...but that was at least a year ago so could be 2 or more pages deep...

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cannot check the inside plug because I am not using a gen 2 dash and I do not have a donor vehicle. I need something that tells me what each wire on the big white plug does. I cannot find a diagram for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...ok...sorry, I checked those links and the ones in the on-line manual...but I thought it was 4.0 so I will check again...

EDIT: also may be an option to get what you need from a junkyard...not that there are many 92's sitting around...

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks! Do you know which plug I am talking about?

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I already got everything I need. I'm trying to save some money and headache with having to swap dashes. Plus I already cut the plug on this harness. So there is no turning back

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
yes, I've seen that one...someone like adsm08 has done something similar I think...and he's either reading the thread and forming an answer or he's fallen asleep at the wheel...:)

I had a 92 with the 3.0 but scrapped it recently...

The wiring diagrams might help to some extent though...basically the power distribution diagram should show where some or most of them go...in fact, I saw a few that give wire colour and where they end up...there are three diagrams for the 2.9...

Last edited:

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I have all the wiring diagrams for the 2.9 and 4.0. But none seem to tell me what these wires do that go into this plug

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved. There is no wiring diagram for the cannon plug until 1993 and it's a pain in the neck. Just going to swap dashes and be done with it. Thank you though for the help

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, if it's any consolation...I'm planning a similar swap where I have to either match the 96 wiring and harnesses to my 88 dash and mix/match accessories or just swap in the 96 dash...I'd prefer to keep the old 88 dash and work through it but there are some things that just don't match up easily...like the light controls and instrument pods...I was thinking of fitting the 96 cluster into the 88 dash and use the steering column from the 96...

The heater and wipers are probably simple enough...but the dash pod is totally different etc...

Can be quite frustrating and mind numbing trying to trace wires...but using the stuff that goes with the harness is usually the best way...

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe AllanD was the one who built a custom hybrid harness for that application. I also believe he started with two complete harnesses laid out on boards and fully labeled.

If you can connect with him, he may be able to answer any questions you may have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals