• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 / 1999 4.0 Head swap

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to use a set of 90tm heads from a 1992 4.0 on a 1999 4.0 block?
Long story short, 1999 gave way, got a donor 1992 and ordered after market heads,had 988 double springs installed for 422 cam before I realized the difference in a whole lot of things,sensors, mounting brackets ect..ect. Head gasket part #is the same, but Ive read some conflicting things about swapping.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Welcome bpsinned,

As long as your 99 is a 4.0L OHV and not a 4.0L OHC, then the only issue I know you need to consider is that 90tm 4.0 ohv heads on a 98tm 4.0L ohv block will have a significant drop in compression ratio. This is due to the much larger combustion chamber on 90-94tm heads.

You could compensate for the loss by using either 90-94 pistons which have a much small dish or the use of 01+ 4.0L OHC flat top pistons which will actually raise the stock compression ratio a full point with 90tm heads.

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the response gaz, at least there's hope now. The 99 is a X vin OHV . As for the 01+ SOHC flat top pistons, would you know if they are a direct fit, or does any other alterations need to br done?
I would certainly rather the bump in compression if they are as simple as just swapping for the earlier type. Im going to be buying a set regardless.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
bp,

They are direct fit but make sure you know wether your block is still at standard bore or if it's been rebored.

When I received my 4.OL ohv, it had already been rebuilt once and the bore was @ +0.50mm, my cylinders are shiney but with no ridge/lip, I discussed it with my machinist buddy, he unformed me that with shiney cylinder walls and no lip, just replacing the pistons "could" work very well. I replaced the stock +0.50mm 94 4.0L ohv pistons with +0.50mm, 01 SOHC 4.0L flat top pistons. Dropped in like they were getting paid.

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your help, block is heading to the machine shop to check cylinders for appropriate action before purchasing new flat top pistons. Cracked ring destroyed #3 cylinder on original block, hoping the different heads and piston set will bump up the previous setup.

Attachments

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
Great thread guys, I'm getting ready to having a replacement 4.0L OHV engine built.
I just received the Comps CAM 49-422-8 & plan on using the 98TM heads (will have them ported)

I'll trying to find a 98 4.0 OHV block from the junkyard (probably) & have it rebuilt
I already run premium gas & would like to raise the compression to get some extra power, so are 90-94 dished or flat top pistons the way to go? I know the 4.0 SOHC has 9.7:1 & the 4.0 OHV has 9:1. I'd like to get above 9..7:1 to get the most HP I can without a lot of additional changes.

I already have shorty headers, & a BBK throttle body with cold air induction & custom exhaust.

I plan on have the exhaust ports ported larger in the 98TM's from 1.40 to at least 1.70, the heads & upper/lower intake port matched, 3 angle valve job, & dual beehive springs. Any advice/recommendations ?

Last edited:

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Rhodes, I got some great info from gaz on issues that I was uncertain on. I'm working a 99 block which is a 97tm with 90tm heads. Pistons are 2001 hypereutectic flat tops 1.441 height . Block/pistons going. 20 over. Beehives are only single spring... I'm using 988's which are doubles and recommended with my 422 comp cam. Push rods are from Smith Bros. and are 5.550,stocks don't work with that cam. I'm in the process of reworking a 92 aluminum upper intake (like it better than composite). Crank and rods are from the 99. Also plan on bumping the injectors to 24#, not sure if really help things... maybe the idle @ least.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
RhodesCD,

Since you chose 98tm ohv heads my advice is that you use 2.9L headers and have the ports matched to them. Ford cut the 94 and 95tm exhaust ports perfect for 2.9L headers but the inlets to the exhaust manifolds they used were oversized to try and trick/beat emissions; this ruined the exhaust velocity as will a set of 4.0L headers.

To be clear bpsinned is using 90tm heads in a 97 4.0L; he can safely add 94, 4.0L OHV pistons and run very near stock compresion. He can use 4.0L SOHC flat tops and raise the compression a whole point because he is using the big dish 90th heads.

With 97TM HEADS you can use 97 ohv pistons and mill the heads 0.030" and realise a full compression point. I have been told that a 97 EEC will run 95 or 97 4.0L ohv pistons no problem but that it will not get along with 94 shallow dome pistons and using SOHC 4.0L pistons is definitely not recommended for that EEC.

Neither of you need more than #19 injectors; they are supposed to be plenty through 250hp.

bpsinned,

If you haven't bought your cam or springs yet, I can help you save some money. My custom reground cam only cost $200 including shipping both directions from Oregon Cam Grinders of Vancouver Wa (they offer both Comp Cam profiles). My springs are a double set used in Ford V8's which worked out perfect for the new lift needs, the set was only $80. I have the part number if you are interested. I also have the cam specs that I'm using, though they are specific to the flow characteristics of my engine and used with an automatic.

I strongly urge you both to consider having your stock T/B bored, though not the cheapest procedure, that extra 3hp across the RPM band is a solid gain!!!

Also, since you are both stepping into higher compression power, don't skimp where money is best spent; spend the extra couple dollars and get the ARP piston rod bolts. If you are adding headers, Stage 8 offers great locking header bolts; there is nothing better than torquing header bolts once, FOREVER ☕☕☕

FYI; the heads need a little work but of the 4 pieces that lower intake manifold came back the lightest. Just like with it's sibling the 2.9L, the lower intake manifold required the most material removed.

Last edited:

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Once again gaz I appreciate your input.Unfortunately Ive made the purchase on the cam and springs already, had I posted sooner I would have certainly taken you up on the offer. As of this morning the machine shop is beginning prep on my block and was able to get the pistons over night from a close source. I have been blown away by numerous variants, and combinations of this engine. Had I known when I started I might have opted for a 5.0 swap...lol. Never the less , Im neck deep now, and cant wait to start bolting things up, and getting a tune on this thing.

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
Just wondering, with the rebuild of a 98 OHV 4.0, raising compression to 10:1, the comps cam 422, 98TM heads exhaust port ported, triple angle valve job, upper & lower intake ported, BBK throttle body, shorty headers, cold, air induction, approximately what kind of HP would be expected?

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I would imagine with a good tune somewhere just north of 200. I have a very similar setup going on and I'm going to be using the sct x4 tuner, working w/ 5 Star tuners to squeeze the most out in one of my tunes. The other 2 will be a economy, and a tow tune that I can flash to the pcm. I have a local tuner that can Dino and tweak it for me. The x4 will store up to 10 tunes.

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
I was very much hoping getting at least 75 more HP, putting me at 235 HP. And had thought that I wouldn't need a tuner since I don"t need bigger injectors & didn't plan on changing the MAF meter

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
RhodesCD,

quality headers +20 hp
correct cam +20 hp
one full compression point +4 hp
t/b +3 hp across RPM band

If you really want more, get the heads and intake manifold flow bench port/polished, that can be worth another +20 hp.

If your engine isn't yet assembled, you can polish the crank and balance the whole bottom end; that will improve your overall efficiency by an additional 10%, that will also get you to your mark.

Last edited:

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Rhoades I'm going with a 65mm MAF from a SOHC engine, and a 66mm throttle body from BBK. Where exactly are you pulling intake air from, a seal box, or a filter located in the engine compartment?

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
I already have the bbk throttle body in place with araide cold air induction but air box removed leaving an open cone filter. I've been thinking about a MAF meter from a 1999 sohc but don't know how much bigger it might be compared to my 98 MAF on my ohv, or how much difference it might make? And i believe i`d have to get a programer if i made that MAF change

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals