• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 145k miles

Deercamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Ranger Station! Im currently looking into buying a 2nd gen ranger for errands and light duty firewood transport! What should i look out for? Its a 3.0 5 speed 4x2 frame & body is rust free.. I heard the 5 speed trannys go out around 175000 miles. Is this true? Also what usually needs replacing at 145k? I dont want to do anything major besides the normal oil change, all filters plugs wires etc. Its cold out! :bawling: Also this is my first ranger. I have owned multiple s10's and they have been nothing but problems complete junk. thanks any help would be appreciated! :beer:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That transmission should be fine with regular maintenance. I haven't heard of them dying at 175k.

Welcome to TRS and welcome to the world of owning a Ranger. Check out the info in the "How To Tech" section of this site. There's a lot of good info there. I think there is even a buyer's guide.

I have a '93 3.0L with 5 speed. Mine is a single cab 4x4. My transmission seems to be working fine. Clutch, also and I'm very sure the transmission, clutch and transfer case are all original. Bought the truck from my brother-in-law.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Pretty low miles so this Ranger sat for long periods or was driven very short distances, neither of which is good for the truck over all.

3.0l Vulcan engine was used by Ford from 1986 to 2008 and is a very reliable engine.
Ranger got this engine in 1991 and had it until 2008 when Vulcan model was discontinued

1986 to 1994 3.0l used a distributor with TFI ignition system, 1995 and up were distributorless
The TFI module on the distributor did wear out, cutting out when warmed up or hard restart when engine was warm were common signs of failing TFI module

1992 Ford vehicles used OBD1 and the EEC-IV computer, so OBD2 code readers won't work with it, but you can get codes by using a jumper wire and reading the flashing Check Engine Light in the dash, pretty easy to do this.
1995 and up Rangers had OBD2 and EEC-V computers

Change the coolant if it doesn't look fresh, changing every 2 years was spec, not doing this will cause electrolysis because of the mixed metal in the cooling system, i.e. cast iron heads and block with aluminum intake

All pickups seem to suffer from rusted out rear spring hangers

You will have the M5OD-R1(M5R1) 5-speed manual in a 1992 3.0l Ranger, these were very very reliable, the older 5-speeds used in Rangers did have issues, but all that ended with the M5OD-R1, it was used in Rangers until 2012, last model year
M5R1 does have integrated bell housing, doesn't detach, so M5R1 for a 3.0l engine will not fit a 2.3l or 4.0l engine and visa versa, parts inside are M5R1 but the case is engine specific
M5OD uses ATF..............yes, automatic transmission fluid, NOT gear oil

O2 sensors use a chemical reaction to work, just like a car battery, so they do just wear out like a battery, 100k miles is recommended replacement time but I often do 150k before MPG starts to drop, O2s wear out RICH, so costs you money as they get too old.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals