• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 STX 4x4

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I have finally gotten back to working on my 1991 STX after a couple years of not being able to. :headbang:

I have started by Installing a Skyjacker 2" suspension lift with their Black Max shocks and steering stabilizer. I've gotten the front coils and shocks in so far.

Here are some before pictures
IMG_20220815_202649839.jpg
IMG_20220815_202912288_HDR.jpg

And here's an after. The rear leafs aren't on yet but will be one of the next Saturdays or so. I'll be sure to post better updated pictures

IMG_20230102_122935958.jpg

IMG_20221231_154330763.jpg

While I was at it I also replaced the axle pivot and radius arm bushings with red Prothane Polyurethane replacements.

Before
IMG_20221231_134710006.jpg

After
IMG_20221231_142140558.jpg

IMG_20221231_150903504.jpg

IMG_20221231_150909066.jpg

The next Saturday that I have a chance to work on it I will have the rear leaf springs, shocks, and the entire steering linkage system replaced. I'll be sure to get better photos also! I've got some degreasing and painting to do still to the underside and it also still needs an alignment which will be done by a shop very soon. I think I will keep the 235/75 tires to maintain a little more travel while not scrubbing the fenders. The ride is already entirely different and 10 times better than stock. I do want to eventually upgrade the shocks to some King 2.0 remote resuvuair upgrades when budget allows. If anyone has any questions on how I did anything feel free to ask! I have lots more stuff to do to this thing so I will do my best to post all of it.

Attachments

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I'm trying to build this thread into something that I update regularly as I get things accomplished with my truck. I feel it necessary to give a little backstory on my Ranger.

Here's a little history on my Ranger.

I bought it in March of 2013 for $1800 off of Craigslist. It was all stock and in fair condition on the outside however the interior was in better shape.

From the factory it came with a 2.9 V6, automatic transmission, auto locking hubs, 7.5" rear axle, Dana 35 TTB front axle, and push button 4x4.

Over the years I have done some minor upgrades. So far it has an open 4.10 8.8 out of a 2004 Ranger which is 2" wider than the 7.5 that was in it so the rear wheel track width now matches the front. I've also converted the auto hubs to Mile Marker manual hubs.

Other things I have done to it is having the original engine replaced with a Jasper remanufactured engine when the original froze one winter due to poor coolant concentration.

I've also had the truck repainted. I haven't been happy with the job and I have been waiting to repaint it. That's why the decals haven't been put back on.

The wheels I went with are 15x7 -6 American Racing AR23s' with 235/75 Cooper Discoverer AT3-S tires.

Over time I have sourced the OEM roll bar with 100w Bosch Profi 210 driving lights & OEM Ford covers, rear tube bumper, and brush guard however the brush guard is waiting to be powder coated before it is installed. I've also got to source the Bosch fog lights used or NOS on eBay.

I'm currently working on the suspension and steering on the truck. It's getting a Skyjacker 2" BlackMax suspension lift & steering stabilizer kit. The radius arm, axle pivot, front/rear swaybar, & body mount bushings will all be replaced with Prothane polyurethane replacements. I would eventually like to upgrade the shocks to King 2.0 remote resuvuair replacements to adjust shock firmness under different off-road conditions.

Here is a before and after photo from a while back just before my old dog passed away.

I am looking forward to getting back to building this truck into what I've always wanted it to be. A trail capable truck that I can also take to local car shows/meets.

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Awesome. There's probably a few of those decal kits available still if you want to restore it back to the original look. That one is part # F1TZ1320000AJ I believe, and it looks like green sales has some according to rearcounter.com

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
E="BlackBII, post: 1948280, member: 705"]
Awesome. There's probably a few of those decal kits available still if you want to restore it back to the original look. That one is part # F1TZ1320000AJ I believe, and it looks like green sales has some according to rearcounter.com
[/QUOTE]

I actually had the decal kit remade at a vinal shop local to me and they gave me the plans for it. They were spot on! I've just got to get them installed. The truck needs to be repainted because the guy I had paint it for me did a horrible job with prep work and body work. I seriously could have had a better job done at Maaco :temper:

But once the mechanical stuff is finished for the most part I will be getting it repainted and the graphics put back on. It's just a matter of getting the checklist for it finished first!

If that's your truck in your profile photo I really dig it! You did basically what I had in mind with just a few changes. I also noticed that your rollbar lights are a bit smaller than original. Not sure if you knew but you can get the correct lights and covers on eBay still with some luck. The lights are Bosch Profi 210 driving lights (I put 100w bulbs in mine) and I also found a NOS set of Ford covers for them. However Bosch also sold covers with Bosch logos on them and I plasti dipped those so that I can install new Ford oval decals over them. If you would like some photos with measurements on the cover decals can post those. If you need photos or measurements for the OEM brush guard or tube rear bumper I have those too :icon_thumby:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I actually had the decal kit remade at a vinal shop local to me and they gave me the plans for it. They were spot on! I've just got to get them installed. The truck needs to be repainted because the guy I had paint it for me did a horrible job with prep work and body work. I seriously could have had a better job done at Maaco :temper:
That's the worst! And why do everything myself. Looking forward to seeing yours done!

That is indeed my truck; '89 with NOS decals and rollbar. When I was looking for lights I couldn't find the correct ones so yes the ones I have are too small. I'll see if I can find some of the Profi 210's. The look I was going after is the truck on the 1990 Brochure, which didn't have the brush guard. The big change I did was using Oxford White instead of Colonial White; too much yellow in Colonial for my taste.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I gotcha! Super sharp truck man. You got it spot on. Mine is oxford white also but I have an f150 that is supposed to be colonial white and I'm torn on whether or not to keep it the original color or not.

Here's the photos of the covers. If your needing one you can find the OEM light switch on eBay a guy has several for sale

I got them on eBay several years ago and haven't found anymore since. I think I paid 70 dollars for both. They were new in the original Ford bags and I still have the bags somewhere I think. I'm keeping them nice and not using them right now

Attachments

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Got some extra time today to get the front sway bar/end link bushings changed out on the truck. I have bushings for the rear sway bar and end links as well as new coil spring isolators to install also. When I put the new leafs in I'll do the same brand of bushings for the eyes of those also. Only thing left after that is the body mount bushings!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals