• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 SAS w/2.3 turbo

Hoonin88

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
'88 Turbo Coupe swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
33"
I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here and haven't found any solid answers through the web. What FMIC do people run in their first gen? Sure the '88 TC IC works, but I would like to go with a front mount and utilize the blow off valve I have on the shelf. While we are at it, I could use a rebuild kit for the IHI unless someone has a solid unit they would like to move on from. Lastly, for now, I am running a stock fuel pump from the Ranger. I won't need a 255 lph pump, but would like to wire in a 190 lph. Anyone have a part number? Is there a solution for a float that doesn't break when offroading? Replaced the whole unit and the float broke second day on the trails.

Excuse my ignorance as I am still fairly fresh to the offroad world as well as the 2.3 lima. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Not understanding your abbreviations??
TC IC
FMIC
IHI

1988 and older Rangers use a reverse scale on the fuel gauge
73 ohms Empty
10 ohms Full

Later years use
16 ohms Empty
160 ohms Full
But 1988 could be either

What part broke on the float?
I don't come across that much with Rangers

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Hoonin88

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
'88 Turbo Coupe swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
33"
Welcome to the forum

Not understanding your abbreviations??
TC IC - Turbo Coupe Intercooler
FMIC - Front Mount Intercooler
IHI - thats the turbo make from the turbo coupe

1988 and older Rangers use a reverse scale on the fuel gauge
73 ohms Empty
10 ohms Full

Later years use
16 ohms Empty
160 ohms Full
But 1988 could be either

What part broke on the float?
I don't come across that much with Rangers
I haven't pulled the pump out since its a PITA (pain in the ass) to get to but the guage constantly reads full. Guess the float/arm got stuck in the up position when i came down from a rock wall. All i know now is i have to refill every 150 miles hahah.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Gauge stuck on Full could be the newer style, 160 ohms Full, being disconnected, especially if needle is above Full, that's more likely than broken float

There is also an Anti-slosh module on the back of the instrument cluster, it can break and show either Empty or Full all the time

If you want to pull the cluster first, there is a Yellow/White stripe wire on the connector, that runs to the Sender in the gas tank, you can use an OHM meter to test it, if you rock the truck while testing the OHMs will go up and down as the float goes up and down when gas sloshes around, that would confirm no stuck float and that the sender is OK
The sender is also grounded on the frame rail and that can come loose or wire breaks, same symptom HIGH OHMS because no ground(that should be an Orange Wire at the tank connector)

Hoonin88

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
'88 Turbo Coupe swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
33"
Thats some solid knowledge RonD. Least of my worries at the moment but I will certainly refer back to this when the time is right!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I responded to your post in the general discussion about your air filter setup, just food for thought, not saying my way is the only way :)

FMIC is front mount intercooler. In my years I haven't heard of a great solution to that or I'd probably have one, if there is one I apparently wasn't paying attention... if you look at my post mentioned above I ain't got one :). Heck, even my F350 with a 7.3L doesn't have an intercooler... I have one for it, but haven't taken the time or gotten the tube to make it happen...

Doesn't '88 have an in line high pressure pump? Or did that stop in like '86? Honestly having the problem you have with your fuel gauge isn't common on Rangers, I imagine Ron is onto your issues...

I'm running a Delphi drop in stock replacement unit on my '90, I've never checked fuel pressure under full load so probably should, but whatever... I'll upgrade one day... Luckily for me when they went to plastic tanks the smallest offered was 16 gallon so that's what my '90 has, I have no idea how many miles per tank I get anymore but if just road driving I think it gets around 16mpg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals