• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 ranger/mercedes diesel beef up

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

Last fall I took on the challenge of mating a mercedes om617 diesel to a fm145 five speed 4x4. Now after close on 20,000kms (yes canadian) I have decided I wanna beef up the suspension for the weight of the engine and for driving it as a dd but want something tht I won't be afraid of takin off road.

So please wise experienced 4x4 mess arounders tell me if I'm on the right track. ( I am a ticketed machinist and apprentice welder so if you have ideas nothing is impossible) I want to put coils from a f150 up front which if I under stand right will equal out to 3.25 " of lift I'm assuming my five cylinder weights more then any ranger engine so I'm expecting it to slump down a bit from weight. I'm gonna modify the drop brackets down two inches to avoid too much angle on the ttb and want to build some stretched radius arms that with my rear tranny mount I have built will bring I back 17.5 ". On the rear I want to do the chevy leaf swap ( explorer 8.8 going in with them) which I under stand with the factory block removed and a 7" shackle should get me three over in the back.

Do my numbers sound about right does it seem like the right way to go please I'll take critisim if it means making super truck ride like a dream let me know

Thanks
Brendan

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds about right to me.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Ok I'll try to take pictures of brackets while being made to see if you think It should work

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
We gotta see some pics of this motor swap. Sounds tasty.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
It's in the other conversions

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
So I've designed a bracket that has a 1.5" drop on it I should be safe with that and can always make an extended shackle to allow me to drop the truck to match the front end I think I'm gonna leave the over load on as I like to haul a bit of stuff but even the shackle flip and longer springs should still make it smoother correct?

I have a demensioned drawing of my bracket as well if it fits I'll post it if not I'll alter it after but it should be there as I used factory ford drawings of the bolt lay out

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I plan to back 16.5 " on the radius arms has anyone made a set? Can chime in on angles and strengths? I will post pictures all at once on the brackets and drawings on the rear end set up as it comes together does anyone have a thread on f150 coils and dropping the d35 a few inches

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
image.jpg

Just my bumper ready for powder coat will Also work to help brace up the rear end around the rear suspension as well

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Parts are to be lasered this week.... If anyone is actually reading this and has done a 64" swap can you tell me what bushings your running. Moog rubber mount or prothene bushings same question on the radius bushing gonna order here this week any thoughts?

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Everything is on it's way I'm gonna take lots if pictures to try to spark someone's interest but It will be around the 20th when I do the rear swap

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
S

Well I lied I recieved all my bushings but the guys who do the laser cutter had a optical eye go on the laser or at least it sounds like a solid reason to take three weeks to cut parts out but I am on my way to pick them up personally and if all goes well I will have a kit to do a exploer axle swap and 64" spring conversion all made from 1/4 plate but I'll keep it posted as it comes along

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
image.jpg

So I only had time to get the first bracket bent up and not even welded up yet but looks like it's gonna work. It's gonna have a 1.5" drop I'm gonna run the factory shackle from the chevy and see how it fits and runs and what height can always ad a small block for more height or bigger shackle will have more pictures tomorrow hopefully

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I got started on the project ended up rippin the box off to get to the brackets made it a heck of a lot easier. Got I all mounted springs and brackets all measured out where they needed to be got the axle just sitting under it in the pictures and it's as far as I got it's thanksgiving here in canada so I have to go see the family but hope to get back at It on Monday. I have issues with the hanger bearing location so I'm gonna get he axle mounted with u bolts loose. Then move the hanger bearing to get a straight shot when it's sitting on the ground and when I'm satisfied I'll weld it all up do new brake lines and park brake cable locations and try to find time this week to get the new coils and extended radius arms built. Pictures are on face book

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152752910966125&id=513106124

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Let me know if the link works

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals