• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 ranger 4.6 swap

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hi so I posted on a different thread that mentioned a 4.6 the other day and was recommend by a member to start a thread of my build. so here it is I haven't touched it cents spring time its a 1991 was a 2.9 auto truck the donor car was a 2003 ex under cover cop. I used ford e250 motor mounts and spaced them up with 2x3 tubing on the derivers side to clear the gear box and 1x3 or 1x2 cant remember exactly on passenger side to raise it up so the engine would sit level. got a oil filter relocation adaptor block for a 2valve mustang off ebay so I could clear gear the gear box had to get 90 degree fittings welded to the block it was still tight but it works. I'll start the pic as it progressed
IMG_0816.JPG

4.6 removal yes its sketchy using a come along on a home made gantry but it works
IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

4.6 mock up using 2x4 and 1x4 wood for spacing before buying metal
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG

motors mounts made. welded steel to to e 250 mounts separated e250 mounts so not to melt the rubber in the mounts then put back together yes i know using non boxed steel is not the right way to do it but lets not talk about that.
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

here is pis of the clearance to fire wall and core support ( pretend its there) sorry its night in the pics
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

that's the adaptor I rigged up had to go AN fittings first time ever making them some how they didn't leak the brass fitting is so i can run the factory oil pressure gauge. got it running in the spring then haven't touched it cents then. Stuff I have stock pilled for it are a 8.8 rear end out of a b4000 with sway bar exhaust flanges from Jegs to make my own headers, 3.27 ring gear out of the vic before I took it to the scrap yard. That's about it ill get back on this build next summer after i get the tdi swap done on my 1992 long box. any question or comments or ideas are appreciated.
thanks Andrew

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Nice. Is it going to fit under the hood without modifying the hood?

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
it fits i have it on just don't have a pic has about1/2 inch to 1 inch if you take the insulation off haven't cut the support. Im going to put a 82 fox body hood scoop on it don't need to but I like the way they look on theses truck I got one on my 88 ranger with 89 front clip. Ill run out and get a pic later.

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2034.JPG

the tow rope is so the hood stays on in the wind cant get a good pic under the hood with the engine rapped up in a bag but will take one when I get back to the project

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Good call on the strap. I learned that lesson the hard way during my swap. Came home from work and the hood was in the neighbors yard with several giant bumps and scratches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals