• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ranger 4.0L 5 Speed lighting issues.

Jose Lopez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I've been having some trouble with my brake lights, hazards, turn signals not working Occasionally its weird one side will work completely fine everything works but the other side nothing besides running lights. It recently just went from one side to the other any information on this would be great I've replaced both bulbs, sockets checked all fuses and they are good I'm concerned this is a wiring issue any in site would be greatly appreciated it's sooo annoying thank you guys!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hey guys I've been having some trouble with my brake lights, hazards, turn signals not working Occasionally its weird one side will work completely fine everything works but the other side nothing besides running lights. It recently just went from one side to the other any information on this would be great I've replaced both bulbs, sockets checked all fuses and they are good I'm concerned this is a wiring issue any in site would be greatly appreciated it's sooo annoying thank you guys!
Sounds like it in the turn signal switch since everything is related to that

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Agree. chances are it's the turn signal switch, also called the multifunction switch.

Jose Lopez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Agree. chances are it's the turn signal switch, also called the multifunction switch.
Thank you guys I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one today but will that switch cause the brake lights not to work either?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thank you guys I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one today but will that switch cause the brake lights not to work either?
I believe so. Brakes and turns are on the same circuit

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ok could you send a picture of what that part is so i could possibly get a new one
Pics below (a '94 manual w/o tilt or cruise but yours, a '91, will be same or similar.)

From underneath remove 2 Phillips screws (deep in wells). Unsnap the upper and lower trim pieces and work them loose and out. Manual is easier than an auto; tilt may require repositioning the steering wheel during removal.

The multifunction switch is the big black honker in the pics.

Look at the wiring connectors before you buy a new one. Make sure they're not loose, and push in on the connectors and see if your lighting problems change. If either connector is melted or burnt you'll need to get a replacement pigtail harness. Be careful with the connectors, especially unplugging them, as the plastic is old and brittle and the locking tabs will break if you if you're not REAL careful ! If the locking tabs are already broken, and the lighting problem is caused by the connector not seating, you can try tie-strapping the connector(s) tight or just get a replacement pigtail.

If the wiring is OK, you can remove the multifunction switch to take with you to the parts store; I think it's 2 7mm or 8mm hex screws to remove it.

It's not a hard job replacing it, just be careful, and disconnect the battery if you'd like to be sure that you don't short anything.

Good luck!

multifunction switch 1a.jpg

multifunction switch 1b.jpg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Jose Lopez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys after a multifunction Swich and bulb replacement and turn signal fuse they are both working as they should thank you guys so much for the information I just hope they stay working haha Have a blessed memorial day guys!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good job!

Thank you for letting us know that it worked out, and a blessed Memorial Day back at you.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Alright guys after a multifunction Swich and bulb replacement and turn signal fuse they are both working as they should thank you guys so much for the information I just hope they stay working haha Have a blessed memorial day guys!
Thats what we are here for lol

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thats what we are here for lol
I'm here for the carnage; and for the eager anticipation of threads going completely off the rails.

Selfish, I know . . .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals