• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Mazda Navajo - Thoughts?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I've been looking for another project to restore once my Ranger is finished and I came across a non-op 91 Navajo that i can probably get for $500 or less. It has the 4.0L engine (apparently rebuilt a few years ago), auto trans and transfer case, and fully loaded for the year (power doors, leather seats, cruise control). Guy says it needs a tune up and battery to be road-worthy, but i'm not sure those are the only problems.

What's everyone's thoughts? Pros/cons of working on this? Should i even bother?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I didn't even know mazda ever made an explorer clone...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I obviously know nothing about the navajo having never even known they existed lol. But lets pretend it's just an explorer for sale. First thing, unless he provides receipts and documents for the "engine rebuild" you can go ahead and just assume it was never done and the engine is 100% original.

That said, basically anything that drives is worth a few hundred bucks so price is not really an issue here. Comes down to what you want out of it? If I could jump start it and it drove around the block, no massive rust damage, I'd pay 500 bucks for it for a beater vehicle.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
From what I remember, they were all pretty decked out. The base trims were pretty ell optioned Explorer Sports. I could be wrong, but $500 isn't bad anything that runs.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I obviously know nothing about the navajo having never even known they existed lol. But lets pretend it's just an explorer for sale. First thing, unless he provides receipts and documents for the "engine rebuild" you can go ahead and just assume it was never done and the engine is 100% original.

That said, basically anything that drives is worth a few hundred bucks so price is not really an issue here. Comes down to what you want out of it? If I could jump start it and it drove around the block, no massive rust damage, I'd pay 500 bucks for it for a beater vehicle.
He says there is paperwork to prove the rebuild. It has been sitting for 6 years, so i don't know the reason for that. If it runs, does it move? I'm going to assume it needs a rebuilt transmission. Overall goal is to restore the exterior, make it safe and reliable, and use it as a beater for my family's vacation house in Baja.

From what I remember, they were all pretty decked out. The base trims were pretty ell optioned Explorer Sports. I could be wrong, but $500 isn't bad anything that runs.
But yeah if it does run, then $500 is decent. It's hard to get anything seemingly intact for that price these days.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I kinda wanted one of the manual transmission ones for a daily driver, if I could have found one instead of the '97 Ranger I might have done it...

Doesn't look bad, like you I would be suspicious of the A4LD but it's just an explorer so everything but mazda specific interior trinkets is available, the interior door pulls are harder to find for 2 door and they do break...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals