• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 ford ranger transmission

Pandapaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello my names Michael and i have decided that i want to manual swap my 1991 ford ranger 2.9l v6 but cant seem to find a tranny that will fit or i may not have the correct knowledge to find what i am looking for..?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's possible.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You can look for a manual transmission from a Ranger with a 4.0L V6 in it as well, it does not have to be from a 2.9L, even the flywheel from the 4.0L will fit on the 2.9L, grab the starter too...

Pandapaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You can look for a manual transmission from a Ranger with a 4.0L V6 in it as well, it does not have to be from a 2.9L, even the flywheel from the 4.0L will fit on the 2.9L, grab the starter too...
And everything will bolt right up no problem?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It would be best to buy a donor pickup with the manual trans in it. Then you can swap all the parts you need over. You are going to have to change the pedal assembly, mount the clutch master and reservoir, and possibly swap the driveshaft over also. Do you have 4x4?

I have never done a auto to manual swap on one of these little trucks, but I did it on a f250 and I had a donor. I had everything I needed, and it looked factory when I was done. All the little brackets and crossmember pieces, the pedal assembly, and even the wiring.

If you get this swap done, the first thing that is going to happen, it's not going to crank over. Usually that is because the automatic had a neutral safety switch, and when the trans is taken out, you lose that switch and it won't crank. This needs to be scoped out and jumpered. Or if you have a donor like I did, you can unplug the trans/transfer case harness and plug the other one in and it has a jumper already made into it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The A4LD and the M5OD are the same length so driveshaft is the same, but franklin is right about there being a bunch of little stuff... the brake pedal assembly is different, the wiring changes above are in the list too, there's some posts around simplifying that some.

The 2.9L and 4.0L are in the same family and the bellhousing and flywheel pattern are the same, the 4.0L actually uses a bigger clutch so it is an upgrade but does require the bigger flywheel and I believe starter.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It would be best to buy a donor pickup with the manual trans in it. Then you can swap all the parts you need over. You are going to have to change the pedal assembly, mount the clutch master and reservoir, and possibly swap the driveshaft over also.
Absolutely the best way to go. I've done this conversion on a '90 Bronco II, with a '90 Ranger for the donor truck. Another item on converting a '91 is the column shifter for the auto.

The needed parts' "short list" includes the transmission, a flywheel, brake/clutch pedals, a small underhood wiring harness, the triple function switch with mount, correct computer*, steering column (or its parts, including the cluster PRND21 display blocking plate), shifter boot and correct floor plate.

If you're going to do this, it's best to just buy all new clutch parts: disc, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearings, master and slave cylinders and a new fluid line (I used, and recommend, the Perfection Clutch pre-filled master/hose/slave kit). I spent just under $250 for all of these parts new, and that figure includes having the flywheel surfaced.

With a donor, parts would be removed at your leisure, and to boot you'll have a "Chinese blueprint" to see how everything went together originally. But keep in mind, you have a 2.9L; with a 4.0L donor, the clutch is larger (9" versus 10"), you'll need the donor's starter, and *I don't think that the 4.0 computer will be useable with your 2.9. Your auto computer will work, but it'll throw a light and codes related to the missing auto. The lower gears on a 4.0L manual are a little "taller", but are still workable behind a 2.9. In my case I hunted until I found a 2.9L donor.

You'll need the parking ("emergency") brake with a manual. If it won't hold the truck now, it's good idea to do the rear brakes, too.

Finally, and don't take this the wrong way, you can cut a lot of corners, and still "make it work", if you're OK with that. Or you can research what's needed (tons of info here on TRS for the searching), get your parts lined up, and then it's really easy to do the conversion so well that it looks factory-installed. Good luck!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
On the steering column thing, I bet the formula is the same as it was on my larger truck.

I kept the automatic column, one of those "corners" I cut to get the job done. But, besides taking the shifter lever arm off to make it look better on the inside, I had to go out and take a piece of mechanics wire and tie the shifter arm up under the hood. If you don't, this shifter mechanism wants to fall down. When it does that, the column thinks the old auto trans is in gear and won't let you turn the key switch off. If you tie it up so it thinks it's in park all the time, it works fine.

That is what the little white button for the manual columns is all about. They do not want you or someone else to be able to reach over and turn the key all the way off doing 70 mph down the road and pull it out and lock the steering column and not be able to steer the vehicle. So on the automatic you have to put it in park before you can do that. With the manual you have to reach down with your other hand and push the white button before you can turn the key back and pull it out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals