• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ford Ranger High Idle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a maf sensor, don't think I have a MAP sensor. There is a empty plug in the first picture near the top and in the center of the picture. It is underneath the vacuum line that runs from the air box to the vacuum port. I am not sure what is for.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hard to say, optional equipment probably. It has many circuits in it so if it were just left unplugged you'd have bigger problems or easy codes to follow, along with the female end to this plug somewhere below.
Still have an delayed idle issue?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No it idles good now. But my multimeter stopped working And I do not know if I have my anti diesel screw at the right spot. So once I get a multimeter I can set the tps with the anti diesel screw, right? Other than that it is good. The idle drops nice and no check engine light ( there never was one). I also plugged the hole in the throttle flap and now it idle at 650 to 750 rpms. I think I will take out the plug it idles to low I think.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No it idles good now. But my multimeter stopped working And I do not know if I have my anti diesel screw at the right spot. So once I get a multimeter I can set the tps with the anti diesel screw, right? Other than that it is good. The idle drops nice and no check engine light ( there never was one). I also plugged the hole in the throttle flap and now it idle at 650 to 750 rpms. I think I will take out the plug it idles to low I think.
Hi, yup, the holes in the throttle butterfly are calibrated into the logic of the pcm. Unplug it, turn out the screw 1/4 turn and try it out. Should be close

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks will do.
Still need a multimeter to test the tps but other than that it is fixed thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I took the bolt out of the throttle flap and turned the anti diesel screw back 1/4 turn and it idles at 1000 rpms. And I took it out for a drive and when I push in the clutch it idles at 1200 rpm until stopped. And when I unplug the IAC the rpms do not move. So I probably have a vacuum leak. My throttle body is worn some. But I can not find any leaks on vacuum hoses.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A very good way to test for leaks but you must be careful for sparks or real hot exh manifold igniting it is to take carb cleaner or brake cleaner in areosol cans and ,with the engine on and idling now at 1000rpm approx, aim short bursts of spray at critical areas like the vacuum system, egr valve diaphram, intake plennum gaskets above and below the fuel rail, along the throttle body area and visually search the vacuum lines that run over to feed the interior heating controls, some have vacuum pods to move doors that direct heat and air flow. Listen at idle, is there a faint his inside the truck under the dash, behind or near the glove box or heat controls, has your interior control failed to the defrost position regardless of where you move the lever? Go back out and follow the line for the EVAP system canistor purge valve above your steering box and frame under the hood near the battery- it is a gold colored solenoid with 2 wires with a tougher line that leads up under the Tbody from the battery area. Under the Tbody the line has an elbow and a short piece of chwaper rubber hose connecting it to the Tbody for vacuum supply and inducing fuel vapour into the engine at light cruise. That short piece of hose rots out all the time and is hard to notice, takes a good leak from that to set light typically as ot is a ported vacuum leak.
You have checed that all the caps are on the vacuum tree at the rear of the intake plennum, drivers side? They get spat off regularly buy a inor minor backfire or burp from and incompleted keystart when they get soft and aged.
Best is to test everything you can with the spray, when you find a leak, your rpm will jack up even more, briefly until that shot of spray is consumed through the leak point. The spray becomes the hydrocarbons that the unmetered air moving through the leakpoint needs to combust and add more power to the engine. This can be repeated over and over to pinpoint a leak but be wary of excess spray build up and ignition. This is a dangerous trade and some testing may be more risky that other tests. A test like i described above is a great test but requires the caution of any dangerous activity involving moving parts and combustible materials with ignition sources so be smart, go slow and triple check.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
DIY smoke machine to test for leaks -

New empty paint can, don't recycle one
Old soldering iron
COTTON rags
Baby oil
Tubing thst fits your vacuum ports and appropriate hose barbs
Bicycle pump, compressor, etc.

Tons of youtube videos on how to assemble. Under $20 in parts. Very easy. Just look for where smoke leaks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank guys. I look around with carb cleaner and starting fluid and could not find any leaks. I looked on the vacuum tree at the rear of the intake and like everywhere else.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
has your interior control failed to the defrost position regardless of where you move the lever?
No heat works good AC does not. I did not hear any leaks in the cab either.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put on a new throttle body ( it is a used one but not as worn). Now the truck idle at 850 900 rpms when warm. But if I unplug the Iac there is no change. I am waiting on a soldering iron to look for vacuum leaks. Carb clearer does not seem to work for me.:):)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Where did you get your iac?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And the Anti-diesel screw has been adjusted with IAC Valve unplugged?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did not adjust the new throttle body Anti-diesel screw because I do not want to mess it up. I Just let it where it was. I am waiting for my smoke machine parts to come

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It was USED, so adjust it to see if it lowers the RPMs when engine is warmed up and IAC valve is unplugged

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals